My SSD Boot Drive Keeps Crashing BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojorisin23

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I randomly get BSODs. I can't run system restore. I can make changes (run chkdsk, delete programs, etc., ) because the next time it crashes and i reboot its all back to the way it was when i started the last time.

I cloned the drive to a new SSD and same problem, so it has to be windows. I tried to reinstall windows on top of the old one and i get multiple errors, the main one says that i cannot install 32 win on top of 64 bit win. However, when i check, both the disk and the installed corrupted version are 64 bit. So i'm at a loss at what to do failing wiping the drive and starting over...

I have a third SSD that had a backup of windows on it that i'm booting from. However, most of the main programs i use (office, Steam) were on the corrupted SSD. I'm fine with booting off the new SSD, but i cannot see MS Office or any of those programs installed on the corrupted SSD. If theres an easy solution for this, that would solve everything as well....

Thanks

Solution
Correct.

Yes.

You reinstall all your software,

Your SSD might have reached end of its' life. May require replacement. What errors did you get?
Yes, something like the above:

1. download and create Windows 10 Install disc for your version (64-bit) using a working PC (have an 8GB+ USB stick inserted first, and install to the USB stick.. roughly 4GB or so download size so may take 1+ hours depending on download speed):
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

2. Have ONLY the new SSD attached
3. Attach the USB stick with W10 64-bit on it
4. Boot up and follow install instructions (if SSD boots go into motherboard BIOS to select the USB stick)
a) DELETE any existing partitions on that SSD when prompted (should then show 0% free space or something)
b) skip the registration key (it should auto activate W10 over the network on a PC that had it activated already)
c) use the SAME Windows login info as before (i.e. MSN account and password)

5. Once Windows boots use enough to ensure it is stable
6. shut down and attach the other SSD (when you reboot if it boots to the old SSD then boot into your motherboard BIOS and change the BOOT ORDER to the SSD you just installed too).

7. Copy data from the old SSD as needed to the new SSD
8. Install drivers (i.e. video), fan control software, programs you lost including MS Office (may have problems if you got a "grey" key cheaply or lost your key etc).

If in doubt about a driver don't install it.

9. When things are finally sorted out make a backup IMAGE of the Windows SSD (I recommend buying Acronis True Image and setup a weekly backup of C-drive to an HDD via Incremental method with auto-deletion of older backups... 2nd highest compression method)

10. Test/RMA any SSD's that you think are defective.

*I may have left some things out but that's a rough guide. Plan it through carefully.

mojorisin23

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

Clean install would wipe the drive, correct? That would mean the win7 disk would be in the tray and only that one ssd connected. After win installs, how do you move the programs installed on corrupted SSD over to the clean SSD?

Keep in mind on the corrupted ssd I tried backing it up to another drive- no go. I tried overwriting just win7 with an upgrade install- nothing.

Thanks!

Correct.

Yes.

You reinstall all your software,

Your SSD might have reached end of its' life. May require replacement. What errors did you get?

Solution
Mar 5, 2022
i have a similar problem. i have 2 ssd's 1. is a 240GB with win 10 home installed with work files. 2. is a 500GB NVME with just windows 10 pro. the 240GB crashes whenever i boot into it after 30 or so seconds. the 500GB boots fine but when i connect and open the 240GB the systen crashes with in 30 seconds.

USAFRet

Titan
i have a similar problem. i have 2 ssd's 1. is a 240GB with win 10 home installed with work files. 2. is a 500GB NVME with just windows 10 pro. the 240GB crashes whenever i boot into it after 30 or so seconds. the 500GB boots fine but when i connect and open the 240GB the systen crashes with in 30 seconds.
Please start a NEW thread for your particular situation.
This one is several years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS