[SOLVED] My SSD disappeared after power surge and doesnt let me format

Barak9006

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2013
I can still see him in the bios and in the disk management tool but it showing like it needs formating, I tried to format via CMD with diskpart, but after I write "assign" he assigned letter than ask me to format it again, which I already did by using format fs=ntfs but then I realized the command format fs=ntfs did not work, it returned "DiskPart has encountered an error: The parameter is incorrect." . So I pressed format anyway and it sent me an error that he is unable to format. The SSD showing capacity of 1 GB only. when it is 500GB Which Iguess because it needs formating. tried to plug and unplug the SATA. I didnt tried to replace the SATA yet cause I really want to be sure it isnt the case before I do so.

Last edited:
Solution
Your efforts are destined to be pointless.

Here are some "ROM mode" screenshots for various flash controllers:

http://vlo.name:3000/hw/ssd/rommode/

These are Silicon Motion SM2246EN and SM2246XT controllers:

http://vlo.name:3000/hw/ssd/rommode/sm2246en_rom.png
http://vlo.name:3000/hw/ssd/rommode/sm2246xt_rom.png

"ROM mode" is a kind of safe mode that the controller falls back to when it can't complete its power-on self test, or if there is a problem with its firmware. Professional data recovery tools utilise safe mode to upload their own firmware and recover the data. There are two test points on the PCB which are momentarily shorted at power-on to invoke ROM mode.

To prove to yourself that this is a waste of...

chiken_VEVO

Commendable
Sep 28, 2019
I can still see him in the bios and in the disk management tool but it showing like it needs formating, I tried to format via CMD with diskpart, but after I write "assign" he assigned letter than ask me to format it again, which I already did by using format fs=ntfs. So I pressed format and it sent me an error that he is unable to format. The SSD showing capacity of 1 GB only when it is 500GB. tried to plug and unplug the SATA. I didnt tried to replace the SATA yet cause I really want to be sure it isnt the case before I do so.

I suppose that's your boot drive, right? If so, what happens when you try to boot from it? If there's damage, the automatic drive checker tool from Windows should start scanning the drive and return a message if it fails. But if the SSD really is your boot drive, from where exactly did you try formatting it?

Either way and if you have important files in your system, DON'T format your disk right away... There are other things you can try as well...

Additionally, if your board is old, I even had luck once fixing a "damaged" (according to Windows) SSD by changing the BIOS Booting from BIOS to Legacy, but that most probably was a special situation.

Barak9006

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2013
I suppose that's your boot drive, right? If so, what happens when you try to boot from it? If there's damage, the automatic drive checker tool from Windows should start scanning the drive and return a message if it fails. But if the SSD really is your boot drive, from where exactly did you try formatting it?

Either way and if you have important files in your system, DON'T format your disk right away... There are other things you can try as well...

Additionally, if your board is old, I even had luck once fixing a "damaged" (according to Windows) SSD by changing the BIOS Booting from BIOS to Legacy, but that most probably was a special situation.
Thankefully I dont have much data in it, and it is not my boot drive. Dont thnik my board is old but it have Lagacy option. My other drives are fine it is just this one. it also gives unfamiliar name to it SM2258AB-10-00961000

Barak9006

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2013
I would delete all the partitions....then I would create one new big partition for the whole drive....then I would try to format it.

If that didn't work...I would try it in a different machine....and if that didn't work....I think I would trash it.
UcAdYxV.png

Tried to delete all, then it shows me this. Volume 3 as if it have two volumes I dont see . I even do clean all before

erayrafet

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
Thankefully I dont have much data in it, and it is not my boot drive. Dont thnik my board is old but it have Lagacy option. My other drives are fine it is just this one. it also gives unfamiliar name to it SM2258AB-10-00961000
SM is for Silicon Motion, meaning that you have a corrupted firmware and that you need to re-flash the correct firmware. If you tell us the exact drive model, perhaps we'll be able to find a working firmware for your drive. If it still has warranty, you're better off RMAing it though.

SM is for Silicon Motion, meaning that you have a corrupted firmware and that you need to re-flash the correct firmware. If you tell us the exact drive model, perhaps we'll be able to find a working firmware for your drive. If it still has warranty, you're better off RMAing it though.
The generic model name and the 1GB capacity are indicative of a firmware "panic". Typically this can be the result of a corrupted Flash Translation Layer (FTL) or bad NAND. These issues cannot be resolved with a firmware update, assuming this is even possible in the drive's present state.

Dec 2, 2020
I would use a different power connector if at all possible, and call the warranty person, if neither of those work You should be able to open it with relative safety, and check for burnt and/or damaged traces, overheating chips(Its safe to turn it on while its open) by putting a finger over each and every one, after that I would try connecting it to a farther SATA, maybe SATA 5, bechause it might be stupid and fight for relevance when a partition is placed on the same connector as a drive, and if none of those help, it basically has to be a software thing (Btw I wouldnt reccomend trying to format to ntfs bechause it is VERY old, and might lead to 1gb thingy)
This is what I think.

chiken_VEVO

Commendable
Sep 28, 2019
Disk1 here, this what happens right when I initialize it, when i try to right click and format, all options are grayed out.
iurDycg.png

This what happens after I do rescan disks:
oWqAqka.png

Okay so I would receive the same error with my HDD that contained just one large dynamic partition after I unplugged it once and booted the PC without it. I was able to find software without a GUI that scans the drive and automatically recognizes and builds the partition table.

Please give me a bit of time to find it. Hope you haven't formatted the drive already, because this is most probably going to work.

Last edited:
Your efforts are destined to be pointless.

Here are some "ROM mode" screenshots for various flash controllers:

http://vlo.name:3000/hw/ssd/rommode/

These are Silicon Motion SM2246EN and SM2246XT controllers:

http://vlo.name:3000/hw/ssd/rommode/sm2246en_rom.png
http://vlo.name:3000/hw/ssd/rommode/sm2246xt_rom.png

"ROM mode" is a kind of safe mode that the controller falls back to when it can't complete its power-on self test, or if there is a problem with its firmware. Professional data recovery tools utilise safe mode to upload their own firmware and recover the data. There are two test points on the PCB which are momentarily shorted at power-on to invoke ROM mode.

To prove to yourself that this is a waste of effort, try retrieving a SMART report with CrystalDiskInfo. You will undoubtedly fail, and this is because the SMART data are stored in a firmware module which will only be accessible when the SSD is in a fully functional state.

Last edited:
Reactions: blackernel
Solution