My SSD has suddenly stopped working

Cearka

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
After leaving my flat for Christmas to go home, after I came back I tried to start my computer and my SSD now doesn't exist on my BIOS or my Boot options. My SSD contained my boot files etc, and my hard-drive was for storage so it cannot boot... I've recently made a bootable USB drive. And now are in the midst of using it. But when I tried to repair my system etc, it said there wasn't a problem, so has my SSD gone down? or should I reinstall windows to another hard-drive, and then log into that etc to find another way of repairing the SSD if it is just software?

Solution
I meant all the SSD cables. If you swapped ports with the HDD, and the SSD is still not seen, my first guess would be that the SSD is toast. Do you have access to another system that you can check it on? If that system can't see it in BIOS either than you may have a very expensive coaster for your cold drinks.

If another system CAN see it in BIOS, then clearly more research will be needed.

Cearka

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
Reseating all cables? Just not the SSD? I swapped my SSD cable+port with my hard drive cable+port, but the computer only picked up the hard drive again. (I have 2 hard-drives)... Do you think it would be worth unplugging them all and trying only the SSD?

I meant all the SSD cables. If you swapped ports with the HDD, and the SSD is still not seen, my first guess would be that the SSD is toast. Do you have access to another system that you can check it on? If that system can't see it in BIOS either than you may have a very expensive coaster for your cold drinks.

If another system CAN see it in BIOS, then clearly more research will be needed.

Solution

Cearka

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
Ok, at first I changed the cable that connects it to the MoBo and it didn't work, but then I changed the powercable to the SSD and now it works.. but I plugged the power cable into the other hard drive (swapped cables) and the hard drive works as well... Maybe it was loose even though it didn't seem loose? Frankly I'm a bit confused into how it happened/fixed? I know I shouldn't complain but any inclination to an answer, It would be greatly appreciated :)