[SOLVED] My SSD is acting weird with the amount of free space after a rogue game installation ?

zeus9860

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2016
Howdy, basically my SSD storage has 222gb total, right now i have 37.8gb free space, i grabbed the calculator and scanned the drive using disk savvy and came to a total of 66.3gb total being used on that SSD (includes hidden folders). And a few hours ago i had like 120-130gb free space before this issue. So yeah...

What i did before this happened: i was preloading Forza Horizon 5 through microsoft store by mistake into the wrong drive, cancelled it, my request is ignored, i open xbox PC app and i pause the installation there and this time it stopped, but also the installation pretty much got broken and i couldn't do anything with it anymore. So, i restart my pc, open my PC folder to check drive size, it was back to normal for a short moment, xbox app opens after a few seconds and proceeds to automatically install FH5 again, but this time the installation was even more messed up. The game was installing... the game, and then a expansion pack with the same file size as the game. I assume this is the main issue that is causing this SSD issue with missing space.

I managed to stop the installation completly this time around and started a new installation on my HDD, but the SSD issue still persists after having xbox app unninstalled and all games associated with it. The free space on my SSD hardly went up with this, so i am kind of stuck here and have no clue what to do anymore. Been 2-3 hours trying to fix this issue. The SSD is the drive i have windows installed in. Other than this, i usually have smaller software installed here and sometimes 1 demanding game (eg: cp 2077).

Every single time i preload a game through microsoft store or xbox pc app, there is always issues with the installation, it kinda pisses me off that such a big company like this still hasn't fixed core issues with preloading games in windows. This is like the 4th time i have issues with installing stuff through there. 3 times were preloads and this time around it's extremelly broken.

I think the issue is based on that installation resume after my first restart. I assume the installation did not cancel properly, but the files are nowhere to be seen in the drive, either that or the launcher created two installations after the restart, which caused this issue.

Anyone got any tips on how to pin down the problem and potentially correct it?

EDIT: Storage settings/details shows that apps & features occupies 135gb, which is the issue i guess. System & reserved are 40gb, which seems normal to me, everything else combined is like 10gb total, more or less. If i click on apps & features, i can't find the "large file" that is occupying too much space.

EDIT2: If i check properties on the drive, it find a total of 66gb of files in the drive, which adds up to the scans i did earlier but there is something within the drive occupying additional space that i can't find.

Last edited:

zeus9860

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2016
try using windirstat, and run as admin
could be a hidden system cache

I did that and found the file, basically the system created a windowsapps folder in this smaller drive aswell. There is a folder named MSIXVC within windows apps, which i believe houses multiple information about games/store/xbox app and the bigger file causing the problem is 101.7gb in size named
3D263E92-93CD-4F9B-90C7-5438150CECBF and then the same filename with 3 diffeent formats, .xvs/.xvi/.xct .

Is it safe to outright delete the larger file and leave the others? I've seen people messing with this folder and breaking their microsoft store completly but i suspect this larger file size is simply the reservation space from the failed installation?

zeus9860

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2016

zeus9860

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2016
so you have it install on the different drive?
don't see anything on it either. But, my guess is ok to delete from the old location.

I deleted the large file manually, had to get admin permission again for this folder (did that years ago for my HDD drive), deleted the large file, restarted both apps, everything working for now. Good stuff.

Thanks for the quick assist rgd1101, the quality on these forums never fail to deliver! Easily the best place to check up on, on all kinds of situations with hardware/software.

Reactions: rgd1101
Nov 9, 2021
I deleted the large file manually, had to get admin permission again for this folder (did that years ago for my HDD drive), deleted the large file, restarted both apps, everything working for now. Good stuff.

Thanks for the quick assist rgd1101, the quality on these forums never fail to deliver! Easily the best place to check up on, on all kinds of situations with hardware/software.
Hi! So, I'm having this same problem right now and did the same, but it's not working well for me. Every time I try and download FH5 again, the file just magically reappears, and somehow the download keeps going, but it literally starts from zero and downloads extremely slow. I tried deleting it again but it just won't let me. Do you got any more tips? :(

MyfgfHJ.png

Nov 16, 2021
I Also have this issue and turns out the game decided to download anyway under my sight,
its not showing as downloading at microsoft store but when i open my xbox app, its there just downloading at 13%