My SSD is failing.... Maybe??

mojorisin23

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
So I started receiving the BSOD with the following code:

0x0000003B

This BSOD means that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code. BSOD error code 0x0000003B may also show "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION" on the same blue screen.

They are intermittent and random. But always happen when i shut down or restart. I have a Mushkin 500gb SSD as my boot and some games and a secondary HDD with 1.5TB for photos and less used games.

The frustrating thing is it will not allow me to backup onto the HDD because it says "cannot backup to the drive where Windows Recovery Environment resides. So i have no backup.

I tried CHKDSK/ F. It says the volume is in use and will run on startup. However, this never happens as it will BSOD.

If i run regular CHKDSK... i get the attached results.
https://imageshack.com/a/img924/6339/XOxB60.png

Also, any changes i make such as deleting a program, or simply moving icons around goes back to how it was previously.

I cannot system restore either. Just says unsuccessful.

I sometimes get a popup upon startup that says disk errors were found and to backup the drive (referring to the C: ssd drive). Which leads me to believe the SSD is faulty.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

The display suggests to use the use the chkdsk command with the /f operator to fix the found discrepancies.
Whenever drive updates are made, there are often more than one update that needs to be done at the same time.
If such an operation did not complete, the links are broken.
This could happen if you specified buffering in your file operation specs for faster operation.
Or, if there was a power failure at a critical moment.

Most ssd makers will have a diagnostic utility that you can run to check the drive.
Samsung magician is the one for Samsung.

Lastly, if all else fails, you may need a ssd firmware update to correct some flaw.
Likely, that will reinitialize the drive.

mojorisin23

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
it won't let me do chkdsk/f. It says the volume is in use, do you want to schedule the task on restart? i tick yes, but when i restart, it gives me a BSOD and never performs the scan.

Is there another way of doing this scan? perhaps in the BIOS?

TRENDING THREADS