Question my ssd is getting full, which harddrive will be best for gaming?

Aug 16, 2019
my ssd kingston sv300s37a120g is getting full. i want to add new hard drive. any suggestion for gaming hard drive? i am looking for 2tb. thank you

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Run cpuz, https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Write here the model under mainboard tab

2012-08-13_2244_thumb.png

Aug 16, 2019
Crucial's MX500 1 TB SSD is about $110 or so, an excellent price for 1 TB...

Unless dealing in bulk/rarely accessed files for storage, I'd go SSD over spinner when possible...
(prices go up for 2 TB SSDs, which for WD are about $209, $225 for Crucial MX500 on Amazon...)
cool will look into it. thank you for helping sir.

Co BIY

Splendid
Even the cheapest SSD will max out the SATA ports you have so there is no reason for you to get a premium drive. I also like the Crucial MX500 recommendation but any SATA SSD will do.

You need a drive in the 2.5" form factor (small plastic brick) . Your system cannot support the M.2 type drive (small exposed card the shape of a stick of gum).

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9XL0ovNzY5Njk5L29yaWdpbmFsLzE1MjU0MDYyMDgyNTguanBn

You will also need a new SATA cable. They don't come with the drive.

EXAMPLE: https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-18...ATA+cable&qid=1565964267&s=electronics&sr=1-5

Get as big as you can. Transferring the whole system to the new single drive will make set up easier for you to manage.

Adding even a single spinning disk to the system slows the startup time.

Reactions: travis223
Adding even a single spinning disk to the system slows the startup time.

Not to a noticeable degree.

If the OP is on a budget the cheapest way out is to keep the current SSD as a boot drive (fast boot times), and add a spinning disk as a data drive to install games to (lots of storage space). I don't think it's relastic to have all your data on SSD disks yet. I know it's not in my case. I have two SSDs in my PC for my OS and then two spinning drives for my data.

My recommendation though would be to plan ahead and buy as large as you can afford. Personally I also used the WD Black drives, until I needed something larger than the 6 TB. Now I'm using HGST drives.

Reactions: travis223

TRENDING THREADS