[SOLVED] My SSD is having problems after virus attack.

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
Three weeks ago I downloaded a corrupted program with a virus. It deleted all my files from my computer (videos, notepads, pictures), however was not really a problem for me.
I managed to reinstall my windows 10 and change all my passwords on EVERYTHING, because the hacker got access to all my emails, PayPal, Instagram, etc.
Ever since that day my computer would stop working/freeze and the red light close to the power button would be constantly lit. I would have to turn off my PC to fix it.
My MB and SSD are 5 years old now, I changed all my other components since then with an upgrade.
MB: Asus h110m-k d3.
SSD: SanDisk Z400s 256gb.
Did the virus affect the SSD for it to start causing these problems?

Three weeks ago I downloaded a corrupted program with a virus. It deleted all my files from my computer (videos, notepads, pictures), however was not really a problem for me.
I managed to reinstall my windows 10 and change all my passwords on EVERYTHING, because the hacker got access to all my emails, PayPal, Instagram, etc.
Ever since that day my computer would stop working/freeze and the red light close to the power button would be constantly lit. I would have to turn off my PC to fix it.
My MB and SSD are 5 years old now, I changed all my other components since then with an upgrade.
MB: Asus h110m-k d3.
SSD: SanDisk Z400s 256gb.
Did the virus affect the SSD for it to start causing these problems?
Did you delete all the partitions before or during windows installation ? Do you have any other disks along with SSD ? Windows make hidden/invisible partitions and SSD may also have another invisible partition so traces of virus can hide there. Best way would be to "Safe erase" whole disk before installing windows from a clean installation of USB.

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
Did you delete all the partitions before or during windows installation ? Do you have any other disks along with SSD ? Windows make hidden/invisible partitions and SSD may also have another invisible partition so traces of virus can hide there. Best way would be to "Safe erase" whole disk before installing windows from a clean installation of USB.
I did delete all partitions when reinstalling windows.

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
Yes. Updating firmware might improve some functionality.

Note - it's recommended to have backup before doing firmware update (in case update goes wrong).
Personally I have never had any issues with SSD firmware update. But I guess, issues are possible.
This problem that I have (I just realized this) happeneds whenever I wake my PC up after it was asleep after not being used for a while. I just turned off the auto sleep option.
Any ideas?

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
Yes. Updating firmware might improve some functionality.

Note - it's recommended to have backup before doing firmware update (in case update goes wrong).
Personally I have never had any issues with SSD firmware update. But I guess, issues are possible.
Ever since I updated the firmware and turned off auto sleep I haven't had any freezes with my PC.