[SOLVED] My SSD is losing space for no reason

RaFEECRAFT

Honorable
Jun 16, 2016
i noticed that my SSD has lost some space ... i have only one drive and its C all the files in it are 259 Gigs but when i open the Drive properties its says that i have used 283 Gigs where did that 24 Gigs go to ?

Solution
I see 13GB is .sys.
Pagefile or hibernation

Another 13.9 with no extension.

WizTree calls it 283GB used.
What you see in File Explorer is not everything in there.

I see no problem here.

USAFRet

Titan
i noticed that my SSD has lost some space ... i have only one drive and its C all the files in it are 259 Gigs but when i open the Drive properties its says that i have used 283 Gigs where did that 24 Gigs go to ?
Ignore "Drive Properties" Not nearly good enough.

This is easily hibernation or pagefile, temp files, etc, etc.

Install and run either WinDirStat, or WizTree.

Run as Administrator, selecting only the drive in question.
Post a screencap here.

Also, a screencap of your Disk Management window.

If you did something like select all the folders, right clicked on it, and selected "Properties", then it won't give you the bigger picture. There are hidden system files (like the page file or hibernate file) that it won't pick up on.

RaFEECRAFT

Honorable
Jun 16, 2016
If you did something like select all the folders, right clicked on it, and selected "Properties", then it won't give you the bigger picture. There are hidden system files (like the page file or hibernate file) that it won't pick up on.
i did reveal the hidden files and then did what you said (select all and then properties)
and they are all about 259 Gigs

RaFEECRAFT

Honorable
Jun 16, 2016
i saw that there is a hibernate file and a page file just like u said .. should i delete them

Rokinamerica

Estimable
Nov 30, 2021
^^^ there is the correct way.
If you do not use hibernation you can gain about 8GB by turning it off if you are at all comfortable typing in the command prompt and run it as admin. You may not want to mess with page file as some programs may get wonky without a page file. You can adjust the amount however.

Reactions: RaFEECRAFT