Question My SSD is not being detected by my pc which instead tells me it is using a hard drive no longer installed in my pc.

Jun 2, 2020
Recently, my pc, GPU has been overheating massively, and I have seen a huge drop in performance across all games and performance tests. Initally I suspected my GPU a GTX 1060, so I opens my case and cleaned the gpu fans and contacts to make sure if there was a problem, I had checked the simple things. After a little tinkering, I have discovered one fan is slow, however, I am not in a position to replace it right now, so I put it back together, thought, I will have to deal with this performance drop.

I performed an alienware hardware scan, and an SFC/ Scannow to check that my pc didn't have any obvious problems, both reporting nothing of interest. However, I then thought, maybe somehow my SSD is not functioning adequatly, over buredning my gpu and hence dropping my performance so massively, especially since, in many games, though I am definelty dropping frames, the in game frame counters do not indicate drops. I therefore went to inspect my devices in device manager. Upon doing so, I have discovered that my device manager not only believes my SSD to be "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)" but that it also tells me it was not migrated properly, when I initally installed it. Furthermore, it then tells me that my old hard drive, which I can physically hold as I type this, is in use, and is functioning properly.

My knowledge of PC's is not extensive, and this I don't know if this is even a problem, let alone, if it is, what am I supposed to do about it. I also don't know if it is causing my problems, but given my GPU only has one fan slightly stickier than the other, I am somewhat doubting it is this.

I can run most any test y'all think I need to and would appreciate any advice.

One I have run is the user becnhamark which under drives lists my old toshiba hard drive. I also have been informed that the process the person who installed my SSD is cloning through a piece of software called Acronis true image, which might be the problem.

USAFRet

Titan
  1. Need a full list of all your parts, and specifically the size/make/nodel of all drives and the motherboard.
  2. While Acronis is not my tool of chiuce, it should have done the job. What you describe indicates the tech who did this, did it wrong. That you still have a workable OS on the old HDD leans to this. While it may seem convienient that the system boots up, it makes troubleshooting much harder.

Jun 2, 2020
  1. Need a full list of all your parts, and specifically the size/make/nodel of all drives and the motherboard.
  2. While Acronis is not my tool of chiuce, it should have done the job. What you describe indicates the tech who did this, did it wrong. That you still have a workable OS on the old HDD leans to this. While it may seem convienient that the system boots up, it makes troubleshooting much harder.

I will work on getting the name of these parts as I can. I am not super tech literate, so it may take time.

As I do so, i thought I would ask, are the problems I am experiencing at high end use of my pc likely related to this, or is the mounting of the SSD a problem in other ways, that i am simply not aware of yet?

EDIT 1:
  • The original hard drive was a TOSHIBA DT01ACA100
  • The present SSD is a SanDisk SSD PLUS 1000GB SCSI Disk Device
  • OS (C:) is reported as a SSD when I do defragmenting, making me think that somehow my SSD has been named Toshiba hard drive?
-below is a link to how my device manager displays my disk drives
View: https://imgur.com/a/MsLb95o

-below is a link to my disk management viw
View: https://imgur.com/a/VtmMA4l

-Not hundred percent sure how to know what the motherboard is, but I know it is the motherboard that ships with the pc, which is an ALIENWARE X51 R3. Sorry to be so unhelpful
-GPU is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
-Processor is a Intel i&-6700k CPU @4GHz (8 CPUs)

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Without knowing the actual parts, hard to say.
But preliminary data points to a clone that went 'not quite right'. And if he messed up the clone operation, what else happened?
A good complete clone from old drive to new should not leave the old OS on the old drive.

Just leads to confusion, and the system sometimes trying to boot from the wrong one.

Jun 2, 2020
Without knowing the actual parts, hard to say.
But preliminary data points to a clone that went 'not quite right'. And if he messed up the clone operation, what else happened?
A good complete clone from old drive to new should not leave the old OS on the old drive.

Just leads to confusion, and the system sometimes trying to boot from the wrong one.
Does it leave me with many options to fix it? or I am FUBAR?

Jun 2, 2020
Power off.
Disconnect the new SSD, and leave the original HDD in.
Power on.

Does it boot up correctly?

If so, maybe we can do an actual clone process correctly.

The thing is, at present, the HDD is not in at all so when you say leave it in, do you mean put it back in? I will try and open my pc case if so tommorrow, as the pc is actually fairly tight on space and so I like to have a good hour or so to cleanly open it up and secure evrything in place.