[SOLVED] My SSD is restricted by space for windows

Manu07

Honorable
Jul 17, 2017
I got a new M.2 SSD and it tells me that Space is reserved for Windows". I tried to delete the partition and it didn't work. Is there any way to delete that partition and be able to use that space freely?

Solution
Not only that, bot the hidden partitions usually get no drive letter allocated and aren't visible unless you look into things like disk management.
I got a new M.2 SSD and it tells me that Space is reserved for Windows". I tried to delete the partition and it didn't work. Is there any way to delete that partition and be able to use that space freely?
Space for windows ??? Never heard of such thing, can you show picture of Disk Management ?
When you install Windows it will make 3-4 partitions (one of them is C: containing windows and programs with other ones without a letter and used by windows itself to boot. It also depends on type of installation (Legacy/CSM or UEFI mode).

UEFI/GPT requires reserved space to hold the partition tables so Windows can access the drive. The reserved space is called a system utility partition. You can't access all of the space on a drive used to boot Windows. Your best option is to simply buy a bigger drive.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
You could use a Linux ISO, boot from it (USB-stick), launch partition program. Cfdisk is one, if you like using terminal.
Linux distros usually come with a GUI partition program, like Gnome Disks. I'm blanking on the popular one. Open start-menu, type in 'part', should show up.
Do note that Linux uses a whole another way to ID disks so you gotta know what you are doing, which disk you are manipulating. Be sure you select the right drive. One way could be to label all the partitions on the drive you want to manipulate (in WIndows). Those should show up in Linux too. I say should but they absolutely do.

I'm assuming you found this out after installing Windows on it. If that's the case, this is the where the bootloader and recovery environment lives. Deleting it causes the PC to no longer boot into Windows until you create a new bootloader that's aware of the Windows install.

Manu07

Honorable
Jul 17, 2017
Space for windows ??? Never heard of such thing, can you show picture of Disk Management ?
When you install Windows it will make 3-4 partitions (one of them is C: containing windows and programs with other ones without a letter and used by windows itself to boot. It also depends on type of installation (Legacy/CSM or UEFI mode).
I understand that it is a strange problem but I tried to delete the partition that only let me install the operating system and I made a new one and it still does not let me write in it. Attached is a link so you can see that disk 1 (the slave) won't let me install a game.
Screenshots

I understand that it is a strange problem but I tried to delete the partition that only let me install the operating system and I made a new one and it still does not let me write in it. Attached is a link so you can see that disk 1 (the slave) won't let me install a game.
Screenshots
So, you are talking about second disk (Disk 1, Partition D: ) ? Is anything visible in it from File manager?

Manu07

Honorable
Jul 17, 2017
What make/model M.2 SSD?
Is it used or bought new?
Diagnose it with diagnostic software (manufacturer specific) - like
Samsung Magician,​
Intel SSD toolbox,​
Crucial Storage executive,​
WD SSD dashboard​

Are you able to create files or folders on the new drive? What error do you get?
I can make folders but cant install anything there