Question My ssd just stopped working but it works .

Jul 27, 2018
My m.2 ssd(crucial mx500) just randomly one morning stops working so I try a CMOS reset and it goes back to normal until I start getting bsod a few mins after the ordeal rebooting a couple of time fixed the pc but a few hours later it completely broke down and the bios won't even detect my ssd anymore.I have tested the ssd in my friends pc and it boots. I have tried to do a CMOS reset, and tried messing with the bios settings to no avail.

My specs
Ryzen 5 2600
8 gigs of Trident z memory
Crucial mx500 ssd
Asus B450f gaming mobo
Seagate barracuda 2 tb HDD

And I have my ssd in the m.2_1 slot the m.2_2 is for nvme drives and I have tried removing the hdd completly to avoid any issues . I also have a contant orange/red led on my ssd which when working blinks but is solid now.

Jul 27, 2018
Have you run HD Sentinel to verify the SMART status of the drive?
[/QUO
Have you run HD Sentinel to verify the SMART status of the drive?
Isnt Hd sentinel for HDD and no I haven't run it but I used crucials own software to see if my drive was damaged or it was a firmware issue turns out the drive is in a good state and the firmware too is upto date.

Sep 2, 2019
you got latest bios? i have gigabyte x570 ultra, my nvme auro 512gb m.2 drive din't show up in F12 boot menu, field was empty !

but i could select it and win10 would start up normaly, and pc run's fine.

i did update from bios F5 to F6a and now i see the text in the f12 boot menu again.

so a update for bios, will fix more then you think...

Jul 27, 2018
you got latest bios? i have gigabyte x570 ultra, my nvme auro 512gb m.2 drive din't show up in F12 boot menu, field was empty !

but i could select it and win10 would start up normaly, and pc run's fine.

i did update from bios F5 to F6a and now i see the text in the f12 boot menu again.

so a update for bios, will fix more then you think...
Yeah I updated to the latest bios 2704 but still the ssd doesn't pop up

Sep 2, 2019
were did you put your other ssd sata in ? i have 1 m.2 drive in M2.A the slot closest to the cpu.

then kingston normal ssd on sata plug 1 on the mobo
then other drives on sata 2 and 3 on the mobo. so my sata 0 has no cable in it.

can you try that ? maybe that will fix it ?

Jul 27, 2018
i don't have to uefi string infront of it anymore, that's a bit strange i think... i'm looking for a fix on that
I did update my bios to
is the drive in gpt format ?

i did this clean install : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-m2-nvme/644be6f8-539e-4218-8d40-1c53283d9fc3

maybe that helps as last option, otherwise i don't know a fix.
I ll take the mobo to the service centre maybe the m.2 connector has some issues cus my ssd ran flawlessly on another mobo.

Reactions: Jornmulder