My SSD Sata plastic connector Broke off

Samihaddad

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
Hello, so I've been having one of the worst days in my life now, and I really need help, so today my hard drive failed, and I ordered a new one. I also discovered today, that I had a dead spider inside my pc, which really sucks since I had to take him out, and throw him, and I don't like these things. Thirdly, after removing my hdd and placing it in the freezer, I want to go back to my pc and play, well it tells me 'system doesnt support your boot drive', so I'm like okay, maybe the cable slipped off, and wdu know, it did slip off, and just as I am jamming it in there continuously, I hear some clinging sound, and I pull the cable back a bit, and the prongs are all tilted in, and my dumb4ss was jamming it in there more and more, I stopped to think, what I have done before, that made God hate me so much. Anyways, I need this drive, it has my os and personal info, I know that getting a new plastic cover for it will fix it, but idk what they have to do to put the prongs the way they were, and I dont have that kind of screw driver. I contacted samsung and they told me to RMA it, when I told them about it being intact, they said well they cant do anything about it. I just need to fix the cover and put the prongs back in place, that's it. Please help me, I'm really desperate, I think I'm quitting pc masterrace this is too much, I don't have the money to stay here. Thank you. Samsung 850pro; ssd model. (what broke off is the plastic that hold's the metal connectors and I can't find it anywhere)

Solution

Samihaddad

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013

Fair enough, here you go...
fimEe

USAFRet

Titan
You can't 'fix' that.
Maybe, you can weasel that into a SATA cable long enough to copy the data off to another drive.
But long term operations are done for.

OK...maybe...
(first get the data off just in case)
Maybe a SATA cable will hold those pins long enough to copy stuff.

Then...
Find another drive with a SATA connection. Any drive. A $10 CD drive would work.
Cut off as much of the plastic stuff around that connection as possible.

On the broken SSD, gently grind away enough to mesh with the plastic stuff you cut off the other drive.
Glue.

It's not going to get any more broken, so might as well try.

Samihaddad

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013

For all the haters out there that said it doesn't work 'ehem 'ehem' imgur.com/a/6OQnp , enjoy! Also, I'm not going for long term, since they already offered an RMA, I'm going to RMA it with samsung after backing it up with the hdd that's going to arrive after one week. Anyways thank you for your help, but if I had any idea where to get parts for things like these and how they are assembled, it's common sense that it would work, it's just connectors that are without casings, it's not that hard to grasp the concept of making it work. I hope people can learn from this thread, that went down on the same road. My theory on how it happened is that it may have been damaged in shipping, due to my other drive (HDD) failing on me today, and it's just that the SATA cable havent found any reason to unplug itself from the drive, until today. I don't think it's a theory though, more like a conclusion. I'm just playing it safe, although I'm sure it works fine for another atleast 6 months, if not forever, but the environment I'm living in requires me to move a lot, and I can't have a loose sata cable on my ssd, that can risk damage for my pins in the long run. Anyways, good luck for people going down the same road, it's very shitty.

Samihaddad

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013

Yeah, I'll RMA it, I talked to samsung, and told them, guys, I don't want brand new drive, I just want you to fix it, it is not broken, idk what their problem is, they could save so much money on not trashing a fully functional ssd, by just replacing the 5 dollar casing they get from china (probably a lot cheaper, since they buy them in bulk), and then I would have a fully functioning ssd, but they're the ones paying for it, so I don't mind.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

No, Samsung knows exactly what they're doing. The physical cost of materials used repairing your SSD isn't the only or even the primary cost of repairing your hard drive to Samsung.

Samihaddad

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013

Well, since I have repaired it myself using nothing that samsung doesnt have, and using no tools complicated tools for the job (flat head screw driver) i think its really doable, on another hand, if its soldered into the pcb, that moght be tough but on some close inspection i saw that it had some clips, to the side, it also need a hex screw driver that i dont own, that im sure this particular one (you know because theyre the ones doing customer service for samsung) they probably have... Wtv either way it is what it is man, idk theyll figure it out when i send it to them

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Your own labor costs you a lot less. Companies like Samsung don't spend time repairing inexpensive parts not because they can't, but because time is expensive. Samsung almost certainly *loses* money by devoting time to repair an SSD or an HDD.

Solution