[SOLVED] My ssd somehow stopped my PC from booting ?

May 6, 2021
I turned my pc off after watching some Netflix or something, it wasn't mid update or anything like that, but now it won't boot or even let me into the bios. I tried using a recovery usb and it made no difference. It gets stuck at the MB splash screen and it seems that my ssd is the issue because when I take it out it let's me go to bios or even run linux. What makes it worse is I have no idea what brand ssd it is and I can't check because the ebay account I bought it from was deleted ages ago.

Things I've already tried: Q-flash button on motherboard, clear cmos, removing cmos battery, reseating ram, reinstalling ssd, checking and reseating all power connectors, installing linux, attempting recovery mode with power button, cold boots, hot boots, hot swapping.

Specs:

Ryzen 7 3700X @ 4.2Ghz
16GBs Klevv Ram @4000MHZ
RTX 3070
Integrator 750w modular power supply.
Gigabyte B550 M S2H motherboard
(Unknown brand) M.2 SSD 1TB

Video of it happening
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ASpF0gkiF7l7O8zUYNNVqzS4uDua7I7Y/view?usp=drivesdk

Solution
I would suspect its the SSD that failed, if you can still enter bios BUT not boot into windows (you don't need a drive to enter motherboard bios). They do so suddenly when they do fail, and the easiest remedy is simply replace the SSD. I have an SSD on hand if and when mine does fail.

Q-flash button on motherboard
Seeing this, you flashed your gigabyte motherboard bios?
I wouldn't at the first sight of a problem. Flashing bios is only done if you need it for a hardware upgrade (I.e. can't use your cpu with your motherboard) but

but now it won't boot or even let me into the bios.
This might explain the added complication you're now experiencing.

Worst case scenario, board may be bricked, especially if the bios flashing...
I would suspect its the SSD that failed, if you can still enter bios BUT not boot into windows (you don't need a drive to enter motherboard bios). They do so suddenly when they do fail, and the easiest remedy is simply replace the SSD. I have an SSD on hand if and when mine does fail.

Q-flash button on motherboard
Seeing this, you flashed your gigabyte motherboard bios?
I wouldn't at the first sight of a problem. Flashing bios is only done if you need it for a hardware upgrade (I.e. can't use your cpu with your motherboard) but

but now it won't boot or even let me into the bios.
This might explain the added complication you're now experiencing.

Worst case scenario, board may be bricked, especially if the bios flashing process was done wrong or it did not succeed.
How old is your SSD?

Edit: Just saw the video you uploaded.
It seems your SSD is an outlier!
So time to change your SSD :p

Try also booting from a live Windows 10 environment (i.e. Windows 10 PE) via USB (with the M.2 NVMe SSD removed of course) and see if it works.

Last edited:
Solution
Hmm also...
You're motherboard has the AMD B550 Chipset.
That chipset only has 20 PCI-E Lanes.
GPUs typically take 16x PCI-E Lanes
M.2 SSD needs 4x PCI-E Lanes
But you also need PCI-E Lanes for all of your USB, sound and other components
What happens is that your motherboard will just refuse to run because it doesn't have enough PCI-E lanes to supply all your components
See here for PCI-E lane requirements

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Hmm also...
You're motherboard has the AMD B550 Chipset.
That chipset only has 20 PCI-E Lanes.
GPUs typically take 16x PCI-E Lanes
M.2 SSD needs 4x PCI-E Lanes
But you also need PCI-E Lanes for all of your USB, sound and other components
What happens is that your motherboard will just refuse to run because it doesn't have enough PCI-E lanes to supply all your components
See here for PCI-E lane requirements

What GPU takes 16 PCI-E lanes????

And he said he turned the PC off from a working state and now it won’t turn back on.

I find it highly unlikely that he lost PCI-E lanes between turning the pc off and turning it on.

I think it’s the unbranded, janky-ass SSD that has just randomly failed.

Last edited:
May 6, 2021
What GPU takes 16 PCI-E lanes????

And he said he turned the PC off from a working state and now it won’t turn back on.

I find it highly unlikely that he lost PCI-E lanes between turning the pc off and turning it on.

I think it’s the unbranded, janky-ass SSD that has just randomly failed.
Yea the pci-e thing makes no sense because I'm 90% sure that usb is handled separately via it's controller + what's the solution to that? Unplug all my stuff? But my ssd isn't unbranded, I think what happened is I was messing with it and I idle mindedly took off the sticker which does make this a lot harder. I'm pretty sure it's an adata ssd. Also an ssd failing doesn't connect the dots to me being locked out of bios. I've had hard drives fail and all that happens is that it says "please install boot media" or something.

May 6, 2021
Ok but, it was working, for months actually, meaning the pci-e lanes aren't the issue. It was working 2 days ago, able to play games and whatever, the issue cannot be pci-e because for it to just decided it's overloaded makes no sense.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Yea the pci-e thing makes no sense because I'm 90% sure that usb is handled separately via it's controller + what's the solution to that? Unplug all my stuff? But my ssd isn't unbranded, I think what happened is I was messing with it and I idle mindedly took off the sticker which does make this a lot harder. I'm pretty sure it's an adata ssd. Also an ssd failing doesn't connect the dots to me being locked out of bios. I've had hard drives fail and all that happens is that it says "please install boot media" or something.

A failed NVME drive is a different prospect to a failed SATA drive. A SATA drive has a controller between it and the CPU, whereas an NVME drive connects directly. It’s conceivable that a failed drive could hang the entire CPU if it wasn’t working correctly, which might lock you out from BIOS.

Get another drive and then you’ll know for sure.