BMBiscuit

Reputable
Jul 18, 2017
Hello

While I was playing my game suddenly closed and I tried to start the game and realized the files for it couldn't be found.
My disk doesn't show up anywhere. So I'm guessing its dead.
This SSD only had games on it, nothing else.

The only thing I have done recently is installing some addons for World of Warcraft Classic.
Not sure if this can have done anything.

But what I found weird was that my PC suddenly started booting slow aswell.
I have windows on a separate SSD. So I have no idea why it started booting slow aswell.

The SSD is a Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5'' SSD
Which I bought on 18/11/2017.

It's not really a big deal if my SSD is dead, but Im more worried about the slow boot all of a sudden.

EDIT: The PC booted as normal when I unplugged the SSD.
I'm just gonna buy a new one, I don't need more than 500gb since I'm only using it for games, any suggestions for a good ssd?

Last edited:
Solution

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Also be sure to back up all important data and verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

Has the case ever been opened up for cleaning and maintenance?

Before buying a new SSD check that the existing data and power connections are fully and firmly connected on both ends.

Clean the case if full of dust, hair, paper scraps, dead bugs, and debris in general. Follow cleaning instructions carefully.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that correspond to the times when the drive went missing.

Try swapping in known working data and power cables.

Try running Crucial's diagnostic software. (Note: do be aware that anything you do may cause further damage and/or loss of data.)

Slow boot may be because the OS is looking for the "missing" drive.

Joakim Agren

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
Solution

FourTet

Honorable
Sep 17, 2016
Hey. This is bizarre in a way. I just got an issue with one MX300 that sorted out by flashing a new firmware. Check if this works fine

• go to MX300 support page.
  • Download the firmware update (a zip file) and decompress the ISO image.
  • Download Rufus and 'burn' the ISO file inside the zip to a usb drive
  • Boot from the usb drive and check if the upgrade of the drive succeeds.

You can try to plug it to another SATA port to ensure the issue is not on the motherboard (ideally to another SATA controller if your motherboard has more than one SATA controller).

Having said the above, popatim's suggestion is probably the best... get a 'new' drive through the warranty.