My SSD will not boot without the HDD plugged in. (Wiped drive)

ttg_Avenged

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2012
(Windows 8)
My HDD is dying, so I wiped the HDD. It's a non-formatted drive, now. Still recognized with Windows and BIOS.

When I unplug the HDD, and try to boot with the SSD alone it simply doesn't work. "Wrong device detected, please restart and select the proper boot device" or something very similar.

So I plugged in an 80gb Windows 7 5400rpm laptop drive, and made my SSD boot FIRST, and it just ,.!.. Goes to the old Windows 7 drive. WTH?

SSD, pls.

Romantic Conversion: One day, an SSD and an HDD awkardly met and were told by their parents they would be wed soon. They both were frightened at the idea, being so different but eventually they were accustomed to it. They then married and became King's and Queens of a wonderful castle far far away in a computer case somewhere. They swore an oath that day, that if one would fall, the other would take their life too. For the thought of being alone or far from another scared them nearly power-less.

*clap* *clap* *clap*

Do I really have to reinstall windows...?

Edit: So I think I know why this little shit demands to stay with it's lover,
5c79df0306c60103c75ecd682ea83ca3.png

there is a system partition... how do I move that to the SSD?

blurryy

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015
Complementary metal-oxide semiconductor, or CMOS, typically refers to a battery-powered memory chip in your computer that stores startup information. Your computer's basic input/output system (BIOS) uses this information when starting your computer.

Zaerekelt

Reputable
May 21, 2015
If this was a fresh install, you would want to have removed any other OS disks before hand, to prevent Windows deciding to accept the System partition from the old drive.

If you are okay with the previous installation, you could use imagining software such as Acronis to create a backup image and then image the SSD.

Sadly, you are probably stuck with starting over though. Personally I haven't found anything (in my experience) that allows for the creation of a System partition after already installing Windows.

When you installed windows on the SSD, you left the old hard drive attached.
The 100mb partition you see is a windows recovery partition that must be there to boot.

There may be some way to recover, but I suggest you reinstall windows on the ssd without having the hard drive attached. You can reattach it later. The 100mb hidden partition will be placed on the SSD.

ttg_Avenged

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2012

So I unplug the battery on the mobo, then reinsert it w/ power off, disabled, and anti-static wrist wraps attached? What will this do, and do I need to do anything ELSE really?

Im going to
1. Unplug battery
2. Plug in SSD, and that's it. ???
3. Plug in battery.
4. Boot, and now it will actually boot into Windows 8?

ttg_Avenged

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2012

Reseating cmos wouldn't solve it?

blurryy

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015
If your SSD has a OS on it, it should boot directly to that drive.
If it has nothing on the Drive or isn't formatted etc, it will tell you "no Boot Device Detected"

*You can setup a system partition to the new SSD, I personally wouldn't recommend it as some viruses can potentially hide itself in the midst.

ttg_Avenged

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2012

Gahh, whatever I'll just re-install. I've done it 20 times now, and I am sure some of you are in your hundreds.

As long as I have windows.old I'm fine :D

TRENDING THREADS