[SOLVED] My SSD's are making weird noises

Solution
That tech note is confusing. The title suggests that the noise is coming from the SSD, but the body of the article states that the noise is in the power circuitry for the CPU on the mainboard (not the SSD's flash controller).

Normally I would associate buzzing sounds with inductors. Loose windings can rattle audibly under certain load conditions.

The inductors can be seen in the top left corner of this PCB, just below the screw hole:

https://www.tweaktown.com/image.php...andisk-ultra-1tb-sata-iii-ssd-review_full.jpg
That tech note is confusing. The title suggests that the noise is coming from the SSD, but the body of the article states that the noise is in the power circuitry for the CPU on the mainboard (not the SSD's flash controller).

Normally I would associate buzzing sounds with inductors. Loose windings can rattle audibly under certain load conditions.

The inductors can be seen in the top left corner of this PCB, just below the screw hole:

https://www.tweaktown.com/image.php...andisk-ultra-1tb-sata-iii-ssd-review_full.jpg

Solution
May 24, 2020

You're right the article was also confusing regarding the sound source.

In my case the sound definitely comes from the SSD's and nothing else, I've removed them from their socket while still plugged and held them close to my ear to make sure.

I've ordered new Sata Cables and I'll see if anything changes if not I'll look and see if anything's loose.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019

"If the system BIOS has a C-States option, disabling this option should help eliminate the noise. " the article says.

Have you followed the instruction @Bob3636 ? It says disable C-State option. I guess that relates to a powersaving mode option. You can also try setting your windows power usage to high performance (this would drain your battery faster) but I'm not sure if that would help at all.

Again, if it's right and the tips don't help. You might be experiencing a power issue. SSDs don't have moving parts and most of the time they point it to electricity. You should also check the cables if they're not faulty at all.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020
"If the system BIOS has a C-States option, disabling this option should help eliminate the noise. " the article says.

Have you followed the instruction @Bob3636 ? It says disable C-State option. I guess that relates to a powersaving mode option. You can also try setting your windows power usage to high performance (this would drain your battery faster) but I'm not sure if that would help at all.

Again, if it's right and the tips don't help. You might be experiencing a power issue. SSDs don't have moving parts and most of the time they point it to electricity. You should also check the cables if they're not faulty at all.

I couldn't find the C-State option in my Bios but I have changed my Sata Cables and it seems to be fine now ? I haven't been having troubles with my SSD in the past weeks, will pay attention.