Question My Stablizer Explode and nothing bad happen to pc, but i tried open the PSU to be safe and i found this.

Apr 16, 2023
My stabilizer explode but still working, i open the case and i see the one of the capacitor??? explode.
gNAemIM.jpg

After the explode the stabilizer and pc working normaly, so I'm afraid that maybe something bad will happen to my pc, i turn off the pc, unplug all power and disassemble all my pc componen, i look it up all componen are good (no burn and wierd smell from pc only from stabilizer). The last componen i check is PSU, i open the case and all look normal (no burn too) but this thing seems off? Please can a PSU expert say if that is good or bad? thanks.

PSU: Aerocool Mirage Gold 850W +80 (Warranty off)

9vgNXEe.jpg

tTSshSI.jpg

So for safety i bought a new UPS (with stabilizere in it), it takes 3-5 days to arrive. For now i will not turn the pc on until my UPS arrive.
sorry if bad grammar.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Please can a PSU expert say if that is good or bad?

This is terrible, on so many levels.

Capacitor, when it dies, bulges on top. Yours blew off. That's terrible.

Terrible is also the fact that you opened your PSU and are poking around in it. DO NOT DO THAT!!! PSU CAN KILL YOU!

Do not touch anything inside the PSU, instead take it and throw it to e-waste. Also, buy a new PSU, in this case, a good quality Seasonic Focus/PRIME or Corsair RMx/RMe/HX/HXi/AX/AXi series.

For now i will not turn the pc on until my UPS arrive.

Since your Aerocool PSU blew up, you can consider everything that was connected to the PSU - to be dead. And you can't tell what components survived and what didn't, until you have new, good quality PSU.

Reactions: Grobe

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Correct. You need a new PSU. That one is dead. If you need some help picking a new one, we'll be happy to help offer some quality choices.

In the meantime it's a bad idea to poke around inside a PSU. Capacitors can hold a lot of power that if discharged into you can seriously hurt you!! Even kill you!!

Last edited:

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Capacitors don't blow out of nowhere, something caused it, so I'd refrain of saying the AVR is working as intended, because it's not.

If I had it on my workbench I'd follow the traces to find out what was that capacitor for, exactly. It's a pretty low value so I reckon it was to supply low current electronics, status LEDs maybe, I see what looks like a relay nearby so it could've been to power the coil.
That part of the transformer doesn't looks burnt, it might be discoloured due to heat but not burnt.

Consider the possibility that your power supply was the cause of the UPS failure.
Do not fool around with a faulty psu.
Replace it with a quality psu that carries a 7 year warranty or more.
Why though? if it was overcurrent then we'd be looking at a blown fuse or MOV. Something located after the transformer output. In proper AVRs there's at least a pair of fuses after the transformer, I've opened a fair amount and most use 10/16 amp fuses there, and a lower value for the input that's usually the one the user can replace without opening the whole thing, 3-4 amps unless it's a large unit.