Question My Star(*) key doesn't work.

p0wloz

Reputable
May 1, 2015
As you saw in the title my * key on my keyboard doesn't work. I've tried with a different keyboard and the key still didn't work. So Ibelieve that the error is somewhere within the software on my PC. Note that I'm talking about the * key on the Numpad side of the keyboard otherwise my * key next to the ENTER key works normally. But I need to press shift to use it, and with the programs that I work with they do not accept that keypress so I need to be able to make the * without shift which I could normally do for a while ago. Does anyone know of a fix?

Nemesia

Prominent
Nov 6, 2019
Try checking in Settings->Gaming->Game Bar menu to see if this isn't set to use your *. I saw people who couldn't use the G key because the game bar was using the G key. You said you tried different keyboard with the same result. You could try your keyboard on another system to see if it work.

p0wloz

Reputable
May 1, 2015
Try checking in Settings->Gaming->Game Bar menu to see if this isn't set to use your *. I saw people who couldn't use the G key because the game bar was using the G key. You said you tried different keyboard with the same result. You could try your keyboard on another system to see if it work.
I tried my keyboard with my Laptop and it worked normally.
And I checked the gamebar hotkeys and could not see any hotkey related to *.
Thanks for the response.

Nemesia

Prominent
Nov 6, 2019
I tried my keyboard with my Laptop and it worked normally.
And I checked the gamebar hotkeys and could not see any hotkey related to *.
Thanks for the response.
This is a weird one. What keyboard do you use? Is it a generic keyboard using the windows drivers or are you using a 150 dollars keyboard with it's own drivers and software?

As you saw in the title my * key on my keyboard doesn't work. I've tried with a different keyboard and the key still didn't work. So Ibelieve that the error is somewhere within the software on my PC. Note that I'm talking about the * key on the Numpad side of the keyboard otherwise my * key next to the ENTER key works normally. But I need to press shift to use it, and with the programs that I work with they do not accept that keypress so I need to be able to make the * without shift which I could normally do for a while ago. Does anyone know of a fix?
Which computer model do you have?
Uninstall all keyboard software.

Connect the keyboard back to the computer.
Go to Device Manager and click on View.
Click on Show hidden devices.
Expand Keyboards and remove all listed keyboards.
Reboot.

Sohom

Respectable
Mar 6, 2017
check ur keyboard layout in language option...also uninstall the drivers using device manager... go to HID keyboard > go to properties> drivers> uninstall... hope it helps...

p0wloz

Reputable
May 1, 2015
Which computer model do you have?
Uninstall all keyboard software.

Connect the keyboard back to the computer.
Go to Device Manager and click on View.
Click on Show hidden devices.
Expand Keyboards and remove all listed keyboards.
Reboot.
Computer Model? Here are my specs
Mobo: Z370-H
Cpu: i7 8700k
Ram: 16gb 2666MHz
Gpu: Gtx 1070 ti
Windows 10.
SSD and HDD I can't remember the name on.

I did what you said but had no luck.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS