[SOLVED] my storage keeps getting full for no reason

kazurengan

Reputable
Nov 26, 2018
windows told me i'm out of disk space and yesterday i unistalled a 15gb game
how is this possible? i already ran my antivirus and it doesn't detect anything, i am using bitdefender
i also ran windirstat, and most of things taking up storage are only games.
what's wrong? how can i fix this?

Solution
@kazurengan
https://blog.windirstat.net/20061013/unknown-space/

The fact that some files are getting bigger and smaller is not surprising. It's normal. Even by 20GB. Since your drive is full, Windows will limit how much it puts in the hibernation file and virtual memory.

Your first priority should be to get another drive and move at least half of this stuff off this drive and onto another drive. Your destroying the drive and I expect your system performance is greatly reduced. My rule of thumb is to let no drive get over 75% of capacity.

kazurengan

Reputable
Nov 26, 2018
@kazurengan
If you pull up "File Explorer" and click "This PC" it should show you how full the drive is. If the drive does not show as full, but windows says it is, then we need to figure out why.

If your drive does show as full in File Explorer, then you can use a tool like WinDirStat to determine what it is that is using up all your GBs.

Hope this helps.

that's literally what i did, the only stuff taking up my space are games
and yes the disk is indeed full

USAFRet

Titan
windows told me i'm out of disk space and yesterday i unistalled a 15gb game
how is this possible? i already ran my antivirus and it doesn't detect anything, i am using bitdefender
i also ran windirstat, and most of things taking up storage are only games.
what's wrong? how can i fix this?
Details, please.
Removing 15GB from a full 1TB drive is still a full 1TB drive.

Install and run either WinDirStat, or WizTree.

Run as Administrator, selecting only the drive in question.
Post a screencap here.

Also, a screencap of your Disk Management window.

kazurengan

Reputable
Nov 26, 2018
Details, please.
Removing 15GB from a full 1TB drive is still a full 1TB drive.

Install and run either WinDirStat, or WizTree.

Run as Administrator, selecting only the drive in question.
Post a screencap here.

Also, a screencap of your Disk Management window.

H13Yk2C.png

W1JvmWn.png

Some games are big and keep big logs ... Since your drive really is full, then I would use one of the recommended tools to see which game is using more than you would expect.

15gb of logs though?

and my disk space keeps going up and down for some reason, i had 0mb left few minutes ago
later i had 500mb, checked now i have 95mb

USAFRet

Titan
0MB-95MB-500MB-0MB is trivial. Easily accounted for with temp files, log files, whatever.

That is literally 0.1% of the drive.
You need to move some stuff off that drive. If this is a solid state drive, you are killing the lifespan being that full.

The beautiful thing about WinDirStat is you can see exactly what is using the space. Just click on a big space to see what it is. The big blue section (Ficheiro RPF ... GTA V) is huge. The 2 teal files in the bottom left are also huge. The yellow file under the blue file is quite large (Disco local?). The two purple files also and then the red section is a bunch of smaller files.

Which of those do you not need?

@kazurengan
https://blog.windirstat.net/20061013/unknown-space/

The fact that some files are getting bigger and smaller is not surprising. It's normal. Even by 20GB. Since your drive is full, Windows will limit how much it puts in the hibernation file and virtual memory.

Your first priority should be to get another drive and move at least half of this stuff off this drive and onto another drive. Your destroying the drive and I expect your system performance is greatly reduced. My rule of thumb is to let no drive get over 75% of capacity.

Solution