My struggle with an rx 580 on a old lga 775 mobo 1155 mobo and am2+ mobo

zeak

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
Ok so ive had an rx 580 in my own system but i have encountered an issue when transferring it to my brothers i put it in connected 8 pin and 4 pin plugged in 4pin cpu 24pin mobo and nothing no display tried on all three boards same result but the integrated graphics work on all three also at certain points it works and other times not it was working fine in my system which has a i5 4460 and some gigabyte lga 1150 board i have tried it again and i am sure it is not broken so any ideas becuase i am lost. (the 775 board is a Asus P5G41T-M LX the 1155 board is a fujitsu board -d2990-a21 gs 1? Fujitsu Mainboard D2990-A1 µATX? idk -1150 board is Gigabyte GA-H81M-S2V and amd board is -MSI - A68HM-E33 V2 -)

Solution
Legacy mode can do the following depending on when the BIOS was released.
1. Not read the GPU at all.. won't even boot.
2. BIOS may pick up the GPU but under Windows it will give you a Blue or Black screen
3. BIOS may pick up the GPU but gets ignored and defaults to IGPU.
3. GPU may work but performance stability is a issue
4. You may not have any issues which is very uncommon.

Legacy Boards
Asus P5G41T-M LX
fujitsu -d2990-a21

UEFI
Fujitsu Mainboard D2990-
Gigabyte GA-H81M-S2V
MSI - A68HM-E33 V2

On UEFI boards make sure you are running in UEFI mode and the IGPU is turned off.
It's most likely to do with the BIOS'es of the card and the mobo. Some modern cards aren't supported by legacy motherboards that don't have a UEFI bios. It also happens with GTX10 series cards. That G41 is one that comes up often in questions. You'll see a lot of posts about the same thing with a quick search.

Some Sapphire cards have a bios toggle to switch between UEFI and Legacy mode, thus enabling compatibility with older boards.

For those boards, getting something like a GTX560ti/660ti/750ti will work with the older bios types.

nerro120

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
Did you do a fresh install of drivers every time? Were they all on the same psu? You know it works with your system so I'm not sure what your trying to accomplish by putting the card into other systems.

That's kinda obvious....To ensure the GPU is not faulty. Test it another system to be sure...

edit: my bad :( having re-read the OP, maybe you are wondering why he is putting it in his brothers PC, and if so why. What will he replace in his own GPU wise? And aside from that, why put it in a system that will literally cripple the card, even if it did work! :)

Its could be a lost cause alright. It's a bummer for sure.

It's just the mobo and those from that time are now 9 years old. The tech has moved forward, and of course the old hardware doesn't. It's like putting a square peg in a round hole.

Now, with that said. There are some people who have gotten them to work. But with most of those mobo's there are limited bios options to choose from.

The last thing i'd suggest is making sure you have the very latest bios for that board. If you don't try it, and re-try the card. It may be the fix you need. But sadly, I don't think even that will work.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador

UEFI BIOS switch started in late 2009 and was fully adopted by 2013 so any board made between those dates could have compatibility issues. AMD and INTEL both dropped Legacy bios support with the RX line and 760 GTX and up. That MSI A68 was released in 2015 and has Legacy and UEFI support so you should be fine with any current UEFI GPU or older card.

zeak

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018

would i need to enable uefi bios in the bios? because when i had the rx 580 in that board i was only getting a display from the igpu

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Legacy mode can do the following depending on when the BIOS was released.
1. Not read the GPU at all.. won't even boot.
2. BIOS may pick up the GPU but under Windows it will give you a Blue or Black screen
3. BIOS may pick up the GPU but gets ignored and defaults to IGPU.
3. GPU may work but performance stability is a issue
4. You may not have any issues which is very uncommon.

Legacy Boards
Asus P5G41T-M LX
fujitsu -d2990-a21

UEFI
Fujitsu Mainboard D2990-
Gigabyte GA-H81M-S2V
MSI - A68HM-E33 V2

On UEFI boards make sure you are running in UEFI mode and the IGPU is turned off.

Solution

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador

I would think you have that backwards, the GPU doesn't support Legacy motherboards. He has three boards that can be ran in UEFI mode by either toggling the option or by updating the BIOS. The MSI board should support UEFI by default since that is the way it ships with a 2015 BIOS.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. The G41 is old and doesn't support the newer model GPU. Simple enough reasoning. I suppose looking at it in reverse in the sense the GPU isn't compatible with older hardware, is fine too.

my bad, I'm really just referring to the G41 LGA775. Not the others.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador

A motherboard doesn't have a list of GPU supported instructions, the storage space on a BIOS chip is rather limited and taken up by RAM and CPU support lists along with the interface. The issue is AMD and Nvidia dumping Legacy support entirely, Nvidia has taken it further and will also dump 32bit OS interfaces. Yes G41 is old but it's also right in the middle of the Legacy/UEFI change which means you can find boards the have transitioned to full support with BIOS updates, granted those are only non OEM.