Question My super expensive PC messed up after I attempted to put a AMD and Nvidia GPU together. Help Plz.

SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016
Here are my normal system specs:

32GB Corsair LPX DDR4 4500Mhz Memory Ram
RTX 2080 8GB Founders Edition
Samsung 970 Pro NVME 1TB
MSI Gaming Edge AC Micro ATX Motherboard
EVGA 650 G2 Gold Power Supply

Today, I decided to see what would happen if I installed my old AMD RX 480 8GB GTR Black Edition together with my RTX 2080 8GB, they did not work together. After I removed both cards and reinstalled only the RTX 2080, I pressed the ON button for my PC, the PC powers up but it does not load into Windows.

I pressed the power button. The motherboard lights up as it is suppose to with its RGB lights. But abnormally, the fans for my Air Cooler and GPU is running loud like its on the maximum speed and it wont stop. The GPU is connected to my monitor but the screen is blank. I already tried removing the power cables and holding the power-on button for a minute before reconnecting but that didnt work. There is obviously power but it wont boot into Windows. I also tried a 2nd SSD drive but same problems. HELP.

Wolfshadw

Titan
1) There is no reason why any processor (AMD/Intel) would not work with any graphics card (AMD/NVidia). During my most recent upgrade phase, I started with an Intel processor and an NVidia graphics card. I then upgraded to an AMD processor and an AMD graphics card. Finally, I replaced that graphics card with another NVidia card.

2) Did you reconnect the graphic card power cables?

3) Wild guess here, but maybe your RAM timings have been corrupted. If the graphic card has power connected to it and it's still not booting, try disabling XMP and drop down to just 16GB of RAM.

-Wolf sends

SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016
1) There is no reason why any processor (AMD/Intel) would not work with any graphics card (AMD/NVidia). During my most recent upgrade phase, I started with an Intel processor and an NVidia graphics card. I then upgraded to an AMD processor and an AMD graphics card. Finally, I replaced that graphics card with another NVidia card.

2) Did you reconnect the graphic card power cables?

3) Wild guess here, but maybe your RAM timings have been corrupted. If the graphic card has power connected to it and it's still not booting, try disabling XMP and drop down to just 16GB of RAM.

-Wolf sends

1. I didnt say Intel doesnt work with AMD/Nvidia, I said that I put 2 GPUs together at the same time from AMD AND NVIDIA and only the AMD worked so the combination failed.

2. Yes. Still no boot to windows and blank screen.

3. I cant even get into the BIOS because of the blank screen...

Wolfshadw

Titan
Sorry. I must not have had my glasses on previously and missed the part of install both cards at the same time.

Since the RTX 2080 has a power recommendation of 650 watts (Max ~225watts) by itself and the RX480 has a 500 watt recommendation (up to 225watts as well), I'd probably say you burned out the power supply. Try removing the remaining card and connecting one display to the onboard of your motherboard (hopefully, you were currently using a DisplayPort).

-Wolf sends

first step Remove your GPU(s), they don't matter now since we just need to boot, use integrated graphics
second, reset bios, so if your motherboard has a reset switch use that, if not remove your CMOS battery and wait 5 or so minutes, then try to boot.

wolfshadw suggest you may have killed your PSU, which is quite possible, third step would be to try a different PSU.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Did you reset CMOS before or after you removed the remaining graphics card (which you didn't mention you tried)?
Did you test the power supply in another computer?
Did you test your hardware with a known good power supply?

Resetting the CMOS without a graphics card installed should have reset your BIOS to have Integrated Graphics enabled. Connecting to your on-board graphics output should have worked unless there is a hardware failure.
You can only really test the power supply by installing it into another similarly powered computer (unless you have a PSU Tester handy). You should also test the rest of your hardware with a known good power supply.

-Wolf sends

SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016
Might be worth going and picking up a new PSU, Try it and see if it fixed your issues. If it doesn't than you can return the new PSU and keep troubleshooting with your old one.
I used a different PSU and it has the same effect so its not the PSU. I think its the motherboard, although it has a red light on it's "EZ debug LED" on the CPU option so the motherboard is saying (per the MOBO manual) that my "CPU - indicates CPU is not detected or fail". I dont think that my CPU is the problem because it hasnt been moved and has been under my air cooler this whole time.

SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016
Did you reset CMOS before or after you removed the remaining graphics card (which you didn't mention you tried)?
Did you test the power supply in another computer?
Did you test your hardware with a known good power supply?

Resetting the CMOS without a graphics card installed should have reset your BIOS to have Integrated Graphics enabled. Connecting to your on-board graphics output should have worked unless there is a hardware failure.
You can only really test the power supply by installing it into another similarly powered computer (unless you have a PSU Tester handy). You should also test the rest of your hardware with a known good power supply.

-Wolf sends
  1. Since the CMOS battery is right under the graphics card, I resetted it after removing the GPUs.
  2. I used a different PSU on this PC and it has the same effect so my original PSU is not the problem.

Also there is a red light on the motherboard on it's "EZ debug LED" portion. The indicator for the CPU option is on so the motherboard is saying (per the MOBO manual) that my "CPU - indicates CPU is not detected or fail". I dont think that my CPU is the problem because it hasnt been moved and has been under my air cooler this whole time. However, I tried removing and reinstalling my CPU 9900k but it still has the same result...