[SOLVED] My supposed mid-high end pc is performing poorly.

Jan 24, 2021
For the past couple of days, my computer has been acting up greatly. It has consisted mostly of my computer crashing and oddly low fps in games. This issue has come to light because my friend who has a better CPU but worse GPU is getting considerably more fps in video games we play. He has a 3600, and I've got a 2500x. He has a 2060 super, and I have a 2070 super. We were playing COD Warzone this afternoon and I was unable to play the game on anything more than all low settings, and the max fps I would get is roughly 70 which is playable don't get me wrong but the reason that I'm making this post is that this is completely different than normal. Typically I get mid to low 100 fps. Why would this change so suddenly and drastically? Anyone else have this issue and found a fix?

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 2600x
GPU: Zotac 2070 super
Ram: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z RGB (4 sticks) 2933mhz
Motherboard: MSI b450 Tomahawk
PSU: Corsair RM 850W (2019) Gold
HDD: 2TB Seagate
SSD: 256GB Samsung 850 Evo
M.2: 256GB sabrent (boot)
Monitors: 1440p 144hz, 1080 60hz x3

Last edited:
Solution
Ryzens don't like 4 sticks of ram to begin with, not at speeds above 2666MHz, so having issues there is normal, add on to that mixed kits (same exact ram is still different regardless of the paint job on the heatsink) and 2933MHz is decent.

As far as the rest goes, it's starting to sound suspiciously like there's either an issue with the gpu or an issue with the x16 socket. Checking the socket isn't hard, just remove/reinsert the gpu several times and then see if there's any changes.
As far as the gpu goes, slap it in your dad's rig (if the psu is capable, 550w), run msi Kombuster or Firestrike etc for extended periods and see if you still crash.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu = fps
Gpu = eye candy.

That's the basics. Your buddy has a stronger cpu by a good margin, he is going to get higher fps. Where the gpu comes in is it either can do the eye candy at that fps level, or fails.

So if your bud could get 180fps, but his gpu can only put 140 on screen at ultra, you may only get 150fps out of your cpu, but be able to put all 150fps on screen.

That leads to issues with ppl thinking their pc is not performing as it should, it being 'bottlenecked' by the gpu.

But considering both gpus can get well above a 1080p 60Hz refresh, the game will look identical as neither of you actually physically sees more than 60fps.

So what changed? Windows update? Gpu driver update? Is ram at rated speeds in dual channel A2/B2, A1/B1? Did you just clean the pc and maybe bumped the cooler? How's temps?

Jan 24, 2021
Cpu = fps
Gpu = eye candy.

That's the basics. Your buddy has a stronger cpu by a good margin, he is going to get higher fps. Where the gpu comes in is it either can do the eye candy at that fps level, or fails.

So if your bud could get 180fps, but his gpu can only put 140 on screen at ultra, you may only get 150fps out of your cpu, but be able to put all 150fps on screen.

That leads to issues with ppl thinking their pc is not performing as it should, it being 'bottlenecked' by the gpu.

But considering both gpus can get well above a 1080p 60Hz refresh, the game will look identical as neither of you actually physically sees more than 60fps.

So what changed? Windows update? Gpu driver update? Is ram at rated speeds in dual channel A2/B2, A1/B1? Did you just clean the pc and maybe bumped the cooler? How's temps?
Nothing changed. Temps are great and they rarely get above 70C. A while ago I did get another set of ram. Same exact model, as I clicked buy again on amazon. However, when I installed the two new sticks I forgot to reset the original 2 sticks back to factory speeds and it messed everything up and I ended up having to completely reinstall Windows. My computer did not like all 4 sticks running at 3200mhz, so it was at 2933 running smoothly, until now. After that issue, my pc was completely fine for a long time. About a month and a half ago I decided to mine bitcoin. All was going fine until like 2 weeks ago when I would wake up and my pc had crashed overnight. From when I started mining and when it started crashing I didn't change anything with my pc, no OCs, no windows update, no drivers update. Then, about 3 days ago, my PC has started crashing mid-game as well. I made another forum post on here talking about the crashing and someone suggested I roll back a Windows update, which I did, but that did nothing. I suspected my GPU was to blame for this issue so I borrowed my Dad's 1660 Ti from his rig and transferred it into mine. And as though, my computer did not crash at all with the different GPU. But for some reason when I put my 2070S back in, the crashing stopped and the low FPS began. What in the world is going on?

Cpu = fps
Gpu = eye candy.

In general any GPU have limits. Too high resolution or graphic settings or will turn into low FPS too nevertheless what CPU you have. Though 1080p@60Hz is doable for any 8 years and newer GPU with 128-bit or wider memory bus.

Anyway I believe that OP should simply nerf his Warzone graphic settings at first. How, see instruction below.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzens don't like 4 sticks of ram to begin with, not at speeds above 2666MHz, so having issues there is normal, add on to that mixed kits (same exact ram is still different regardless of the paint job on the heatsink) and 2933MHz is decent.

As far as the rest goes, it's starting to sound suspiciously like there's either an issue with the gpu or an issue with the x16 socket. Checking the socket isn't hard, just remove/reinsert the gpu several times and then see if there's any changes.
As far as the gpu goes, slap it in your dad's rig (if the psu is capable, 550w), run msi Kombuster or Firestrike etc for extended periods and see if you still crash.

Solution
Jan 24, 2021

As far as the gpu goes, slap it in your dad's rig (if the psu is capable, 550w), run msi Kombuster or Firestrike etc, for extended periods, and see if you still crash.
So should I set my ram speed down to 2666?

Also, I believe it might be my CPU now...
My friend lent me her 1660 Super to use for a while until she finished gathering all her parts to build the PC. When I brought it home, I did a baseline test, and no games would launch without crashing, so I moved the 2070 super from the main slot to the secondary one; the same issue occurred. I then tried it with my friend's card with the same steps involving slot 1 then 2, but it still had the exact same issue of not booting on the first try, and no games would launch, and stay launched. So then, last night, I did a mining test. I set up the miner to only use the GPU to mine overnight, and the PC did not crash. So I'm pretty sure that when I used my dad's GPU for a little bit, it was a coincidence that the pc acted fine. My dad might get a new CPU soon and, I would get his 3800x, which would be an upgrade and a potential fix. A few of my friends are saying that I just get a new motherboard anyway, but why would I shell out that cash if it's not a guaranteed fix.

Thoughts?

Feb 28, 2021
Somethings the issue was due to the RAM. If you want to know what is the perfect RAM for your PC for gaming then you can go through this guide. However, the FPS issue generally causes by the game display settings and RAM.