Question My system is damaged, but I'm unsure what exactly got fried. I need help.

Dec 16, 2021
Hey guys. So yesterday I realized that my 1000w Corsair PSU was likely faulty, for numerous reasons, and decided to buy a 1300 EVGA PSU. When I swapped it in for the new parts it wouldn't turn on, all I heard was a click from the PSU. I made sure I had everything plugged in. Eventually it did turn on, but I heard a noise and smelled smoke, like a burnt smell coming from somewhere in the PC. I turned it off immediately and kept trying to see what the issue was. I got flustered and kept trying to get it working. Long story short, this is where I am at:
  • None of the LEDs on any of the 12 fans work.
  • The Corsair case's built-in Fan/LED Hub isn't working.
  • Some of the fans are not working.
  • The All-in-One Water Cooler for my processor won't light up properly, and the pump works on and off. The 6 fans it control still work, but only at maximum speed and I can't control their speed.
  • The All-in-One Water Cooler is controlled by a large Fan/LED Hub. This thing smells smoky.
The last thing I tried was swapping back to the old PSU, but it didn't turn on. I then swapped back to the new PSU, but within 5 seconds of getting on the BIOS screen the entire system locks up.

My guess is that the All-in-One Cooler is damaged (specifically the Hub), but not damaged enough to prevent the fans from working. I also think the case's built-in Hub also got damaged. And my big worry is that the motherboard itself and/or Intel processor got hit. I packaged everything back up. And just so you know, I bought all of this late December.

So what should I do? I don't understand how the PSU could have damaged it in the first place. The PSU was connected to a surge protector. I am currently filling out manufacturer warranty requests, because I don't know what else to do. My PC included an Intel 12700K, EVGA 3080 Ti, MSI board, and 32gb of ram, all running Windows 11

Dec 16, 2021
You should verify that you did. Even if the connectors look the same, cable sets are not compatible between makes/models in the vast majority of cases.
I definitely used the new cables for the GPU, CPU and motherboard. Maybe I accidentally used the previous ribbon cables for SATA and PERF? If so would that result in this major issue

TRENDING THREADS