[SOLVED] My system is restarting manually when I'm running games/programs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 9, 2019
I build my new system about six months ago and it has one major problem. Every time when I'm in a game or program like Photoshop, without warning, it would turn off and just reboot. No error message, no blue screen, just turns off and restart. I been trying to pinpoint the problem; however, I'm still nowhere near of fixing it.

I do understand that I need to be playing a game or editing for it to reboot. BUT, it's inconsistent. Some of the games I played that this happen is Fallout 76 (Yes, I know), GTA V, War Thunder, and Garrys Mod. I played Garrys Mod for hours without any problems, then last week I hope on a server for only ten minutes and then it would restart. Of course, it almost happens when I play for a long time as well. Like Fallout 76, after two hours, it would do restart. Then some times, nothing happen for days.

At this point, I just want to fix this problem and move on. I wasted too much time on thinking and "fixing" this problem without any result. If you got anything, I'll try it. I just want to play my games and edit without fear of a sudden reboot. If you need more details, please ask. And for anyone that helps me fix this, I'll telegram a beer to you. My system details below.

System:
Processor- Intel Core -7-8700k CPU @ 3.70GHz, 6 Cores
Motherboard- MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC
RAM- 16 GB of DDR4 Vengeance LPX
Videocard- Geforce GTX 1070 Ti Directx 12
Cooling- Corsair H100i Pro
Power- Corsair HX850 (Four years old from my last build)
and two 1TB SSDs

-Steve

Solution
Right well now you've verified temps - I really do believe the application error events are unrelated, as I wouldn't expect them to cause shutdowns. Only downfall of event viewer is it's very non-specific and kind of shrouds your problem in everything else around it.

So I would be leaning towards GPU or PSU. If I am not mistaken you have integrated graphics, so i would remove the GPU and try and run intensive applications again and see if the shut down reoccurs with integrated graphics only. If it stops, then I would replace GPU for a known working one and retesting - as this could still mean PSU is restarting whenever it has to deliver power to the GPU. If after this the replacement GPU works normally, then you know it is GPU...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I havent got a chance to look into this one yet and I'm only respodding via mobile but don't worry about error 41, that basically just means that the system lost power unexpectedly, you'd get the same error appear simply by pressing the reset button on your case.

So isn't indicative of what the problem is, just that the problem caused an unexpected shutdown.

From a brief look, I do not personally think the access errors would cause a random shutdown in the way yoy describe, especially not without a blue screen, so it could be likely the event errors are unrelated.

Jun 9, 2019
Ok, didn't know that there was a second page until now, but yeah. Still try everything; however, I can say it not overheating, Core Three is the hottest at 57C during reboot. So, it might be my CPU. Got any idea to test this?

But yes, the main problem that is does an unexpected shutdown/restart during running games and programs. That's it, no other problems.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Right well now you've verified temps - I really do believe the application error events are unrelated, as I wouldn't expect them to cause shutdowns. Only downfall of event viewer is it's very non-specific and kind of shrouds your problem in everything else around it.

So I would be leaning towards GPU or PSU. If I am not mistaken you have integrated graphics, so i would remove the GPU and try and run intensive applications again and see if the shut down reoccurs with integrated graphics only. If it stops, then I would replace GPU for a known working one and retesting - as this could still mean PSU is restarting whenever it has to deliver power to the GPU. If after this the replacement GPU works normally, then you know it is GPU, if the replacement GPU has the same issue, I would swap PSU.

Solution
Jun 9, 2019
Well, I did the test, and I'm happy to say the Power Supply was bad! It would trip over every time it went pass about 550 MW~ (Sometimes 600 MW and 400 MW). It mush have got faulty over the years or been faulty and just never went over 500 MW on my last build. Lucky, a new Power Supply is cheaper then a new GPU. Thanks PC Tailor, you earn your best answer. However, one thing. Please type something stupid for me like "You have to pee pee in the drivers and poo poo on the CPU for it to work." Just for a joke when people come to this thread, they see the answer something dumb. If no, I understand but thanks for helping, same to mangaman, mdd1963, and Unolocogringo! Check your telegram for a beer.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well, I did the test, and I'm happy to say the Power Supply was bad! It would trip over every time it went pass about 550 MW~ (Sometimes 600 MW and 400 MW). It mush have got faulty over the years or been faulty and just never went over 500 MW on my last build. Lucky, a new Power Supply is cheaper then a new GPU. Thanks PC Tailor, you earn your best answer. However, one thing. Please type something stupid for me like "You have to pee pee in the drivers and poo poo on the CPU for it to work." Just for a joke when people come to this thread, they see the answer something dumb. If no, I understand but thanks for helping, same to mangaman, mdd1963, and Unolocogringo! Check your telegram for a beer.
Haha, it can quite often relay back to the first answers - we just have to try and work through the easiest, most cost effective methods first. By all accounts, as much as I love that answer, with a thread this long, I can't imagine someones frustration having the same problem and the best answer they skip to simply says "you have to pee on the driver and poo on the CPU". So it's obviously up to you to choose, but think of the children!

The most important thing, is that you've got it resolved, and it just so happens to be PSU as originally stated, I'm just glad you've got it sorted and can get back to it. Just remember to stick to a good quality unit! I keep saying to others, Seasonic PSUs can look like they cost a lot in comparison, but most of them often 10 to 12 year warranties! That pays for itself because they rarely fail even in that time period.

Happy gaming my friend!