MB: ASUS Z97-A
RAM: Kingston 8G DDR3-1866 x2
SSD: Kingston 120G
Disk Drive: Seagate Barracuda 8TB 5400rpm
Cooling: Noctua NH-U12A & 3 other 120mm case fans
PSU: Corsair CX750M
Estimated Power requirements: https://outervision.com/b/aR7vSE
Load wattage ~ 404W

For the past year or so I've been dealing with intermittent crashes but it was never really often enough with the games I was playing to make a huge fuss over. Until now that is, I'm loving Bannerlord but the toll it's putting on my system is consistently crashing it. So I've decided to get down to fixing this <Mod Edit>.
BTW, no Blue screen of death, no warning, no nothing. Suddenly the system is just off and within a few seconds starts itself back up with no warnings popping up.

Way back when this all started happening I bought my current GPU from my buddy, one to upgrade it, and two to rule out the GPU being an issue. No change. I let it be until now.

I started with cooling, upgraded to the Noctua as my water cooler pump was shot and needed to be replaced anyway. CPU idles at around 35° and hasn't thermally throttled yet afaik.

Next, I replaced my MB as I suspected it might have been damaged about a year or so back. Swapped my old MSI gaming 3 for the ASUS, no luck probably wasted the money.

Now to stress testing. Ran Memtest for a few hours, no issues. Ran IntelBurn at max, no problem. For the GPU I've been using Unigine's Superposition benchmark. It can run the "1080p Extreme" benchmark and no crashes.

Heres where I finally got something. If I run the "game" on Unigine below 1080p High it's just fine BUT, if I try it at High, consistent and repeatable crash. If I run IntelBurn and then try to run the benchmark, I've got a consistent and repeatable crash. Last time monitoring my system when it crashed both CPU and GPU were at or below 50°, CPU load was only at 14% and GPU was only at 34%.

So it seems I can ramp up both the CPU and GPU separately to 100% load and everything is fine and dandy, but if either one is working moderately at the same time I get a crash.

I've got a feeling that the PSU is the culprit at this point but would like to hear opinions from you all as getting a new one to test will take a hot minute for shipping.
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS