[SOLVED] My system not turning On.

Parthu Revanth

Honorable
Apr 13, 2014
Hi

There was some fluctuations in current yesterday and I still used my PC.
I turned Off after 5mints.

I turned On my PC but it didn't trun On so I connected again after sometime then it got some smoke at power pin and some burn smell. Then I thought problem is with power extension.
I connected with another power extention and pc turned On.
I bought new power extention today my pc turned on but it got smoke and some burn smell. I turned off immediately.
Then tried to trun On but no use.
Now it stopped working completely.

Could you please let me know what might be the problem?

CPU: i5 6500
MOBO : gigabyte (don't know exact model)
PSU: corsair VS650

Solution
Smoke at what "power pin"? "Power extension" ? Can you be more specific or perhaps provide some photographs?

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2173703/post-images-tomshardware-guide.html

Make the photographs as clear and focused as possible. Watch out for glare or other image problems.

Leave PC off, unplug, and open the case.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect everything and everywhere. With smoke and burning smell (x2) something is damaged.

Look for signs of melting, discoloration, swelling of components, cracks, etc. Inspect all board level components - use a magnifying glass to help.

You should also be able to find the motherboard model number and version somewhere on the motherboard.

Hopefully, depending on...

Ralston18

Titan
Smoke at what "power pin"? "Power extension" ? Can you be more specific or perhaps provide some photographs?

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2173703/post-images-tomshardware-guide.html

Make the photographs as clear and focused as possible. Watch out for glare or other image problems.

Leave PC off, unplug, and open the case.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect everything and everywhere. With smoke and burning smell (x2) something is damaged.

Look for signs of melting, discoloration, swelling of components, cracks, etc. Inspect all board level components - use a magnifying glass to help.

You should also be able to find the motherboard model number and version somewhere on the motherboard.

Hopefully, depending on "power pin" and/or "power extension" some surge protection kicked in and (as designed) may have saved your PC by sacrificing itself.

What voltage main line voltage is provided to your residence? Do you often experience power surges? Surge protectors are important for absorbing excess voltages. However, each incident is damaging and cumulative. Once the damage limit (Joules) is reached there is no more protection. A serious surge will simply make further protection moot.

End result being that that device can no longer pass power through to your PC.

Do not plug your PC directly into another power source. More must be known.

Take a look at things and update your post accordingly.

Solution