Question My system shortcircuited, what parts can I safely reuse for a new build

Jul 23, 2021
Hi,

A few days back my gpu started overheating and stopped giving signal to my monitor. After some troubleshooting I got it to work again but it woild shut down whenever I tried to play games. Me being an unqualified amateur tried to fix it instead of cutting my losses but instead ended up short circuiting my PC.

My question is the following, what parts can I safely reuse for my new build or should I just start from scratch. Here is my build it was my first

SPECS
Intel core i7 7700
MSI GeForce GTX 1080
Asrock z270
Seasonic Focus + Gold 550
2x Kingston Valueram 8GB DDR4-2133
Seagate Barracuda 4 TB HDD
Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD

I have already given up on my mobo, cpu and gpu. The PSU still works but I was wondering if it could damage parts if I were to reuse it.

Thoughts on what parts I can reuse or if I should start from scratch will be appreciated

Jul 23, 2021
Please describe what you mean with "short circuiting my PC".
I inserted the power cable turned it on heard some sparks and the my PC would turn on for a second only to turn off and on and off again.

Edit: I brought it to a shop yesterday, they called me and said that the mobo was dead. I'm not sure if it died due to short circuit or due to something else

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS