Hi,

Intel® Core™ i7-4770K Processor 3.9ghz
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 GAMING ACX 2.0
EVGA z87 FTW motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2400MHz 240 DIMM 1.5v
ASUS VG248QE Gaming Monitor -24" 144Hz
Corsair H100i CPU cooling
Cooler master HAF XB EVO case

I posted a message not too long ago regarding overclocking. I'm too scared to fry my CPU. Unfortunately, I'm strapped for cash when it comes to upgrades. This system was running great under windows 8.1. I was living life on the high settings rocking over 100fps in games. Some games on high, some on Ultra. After installing windows 10, my system never felt the same. Now with these new updates, my framerates have significantly dropped. One of the games that gave me way over 100fps was Elite Dangerous. Now the game struggles to get around 30fps and seems very very slow on medium settings. I played the game on Ultra w/super sampling 1.0x.

I've tried looking to see what is running in the background or what I've installed and to be honest, NOTHING. The only thing that I can think of is windows 10 and it's updates. I want to bang my head on the wall when I keep hearing people say my system is great for gaming and should produce way over 100fps.

There's another game Star Citizen currently in alpha not optimized. People with the same video card run 30+fps while I'm stuck at 15. I'm not sure why this is happening to me. I can't shell out $700 for a 1080 card or upgrade my processor to the 6900k.

What can I do to fix my problem. People swear that Windows 10 is made for gaming yet everyone complains about it.

Solution
It's well known that Win 10 updates can mess up hardware and it's drivers.

Best option would be downgrading back to the Win 8.1. If that's not an option then reinstall your Win 10 and don't update it. If that too isn't an option, uninstall latest update(s) to the point your games run faster.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
It's well known that Win 10 updates can mess up hardware and it's drivers.

Best option would be downgrading back to the Win 8.1. If that's not an option then reinstall your Win 10 and don't update it. If that too isn't an option, uninstall latest update(s) to the point your games run faster.

Solution

ankido

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
(KB3194343), (KB3194798), (KB890830) one of these recent updates made my PC run on steroids. I'm not sure how long this will hold up. Fortunately, I checked for updates and found these 3. Windows updated and I'm running smooth. However, I would do exactly what you said Aeacus because it's the only choice in my situation had my PC not run well after the updates.