[SOLVED] My System vs Benchmarks&PerformanceVideo - low FPS & drops

jamdrelik

Reputable
May 6, 2019
Looked at Benchmarks and watched this video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A_ivJtTulw
and they all get 20-30 more fps than me (especially AC: Origins I'm struggling to maintain 30-45 fps 1080p - same goes for odyssey, there are even fps drops in the witcher 1 - I'm setting it to 100 fps so I wont notice the drops, The evil within 2 drops from 60 to 49, my garbage laptop can handle it "better" or rather more fluid)

Specs:
PSU: 500W (Support finally answered ..but didn't mention the brand)
CPU : I5 8400
GPU: GTX 1070 itx aero 8gb OC
Mobo: H310M Pro-M2
Ram: 8gb ( Onscreen showing it never uses more than 4-5 G so that shouldn't be the problem)

So what could it be?
I don't need to already upgrade my cpu, If I can somehow solve this - It feels like I'm jumping from one problem to another ..there goes my (stress)free time.

Greetings

Edit: That Guy getting the same fps, more stable, with a gtx 1060 lol
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDaOdo5QBOg

Edit²:Going to add own afterburner Onscreen screenshot tomorrow if it helps

Last edited:
Solution
I would say get yourself a solid 2x8GB RAM since memory bottlenecking can affect game performance, then upgrade your PSU to make sure you have sufficient power since you mentioned an off-brand PSU. I highly recommend the Corsair RM550x or the Seasonic SSR-750PX, I have the Corsair in a secondary rig with a 1060 6GB & Ryzen 5 2600 and it's silent and has the power for what you have right now, using the Seasonic with my i7-8700k and 1070ti primary system and its got extra wattage if you're going to be upgrading components later (also dead quiet). Both are roughly the same price so read some user reviews, but there's lots of quality PSU's so don't feel obligated to stick to those two only.

I've seen positive reviews for Be Quiet!, I'm...

jamdrelik

Reputable
May 6, 2019
The Support did not tell me the make and model ( well except it's bronze cert. and 500w), I wrote another mail this time specifically asking for the make and model (already opened the left side panel but no label visible from there).

As for the Usage and Temps:

GPU:

-TEMPS-
-idle: 40c
-gaming: 60-69c (fan on 62%)

-USAGE-
-gaming: ~60-75% (ac odyssey very high 1080p)

CPU:

-TEMPS-
- Idle: 35c
-gaming: 55-65c (fan on 62%)

-USAGE-
-gaming:65-85% (80% in ac odyssey when in town, watch first video at 3:00 ac origins . almost identical usage with ac odyssey for me, but it is always like that even if I put a few settings to medium or even low it doesn't seem to matter much

If this is too unaccurate I can add a screenshot of ingame onscreen recording tomorrow

jamdrelik

Reputable
May 6, 2019
Hey, rgd1101.
I got it from here: https://www.otto.de/p/msi-codex-3-8.../?variationId=806010251#variationId=806010251

-Here the requested Userbenchmark:
Edit³: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/16989347 Last Userbench (deleted others, had some problems), this Time I've disabled FrameRate Cap and wsappx/WindowsStore and msi afterburner, too.

So do you think a new PSU will get rid of my problem?
I do think my Userbenchmark score is pretty satisfying, though.
Confusing.

Edit²: Just got an answer from MSI Support and as you've expected it is indeed an unbrand "PSU POWER SUPPLY,ATX,ACTIVE PFC,80PLUS BRONZE,500W"

@throwawayaccnt: I totally overlooked your response, I'm sorry.
Thank you for your effort. :)

the be quiet calculator says I only need ~280w, though. strange.

Last edited:

throwawayaccnt

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
I would say get yourself a solid 2x8GB RAM since memory bottlenecking can affect game performance, then upgrade your PSU to make sure you have sufficient power since you mentioned an off-brand PSU. I highly recommend the Corsair RM550x or the Seasonic SSR-750PX, I have the Corsair in a secondary rig with a 1060 6GB & Ryzen 5 2600 and it's silent and has the power for what you have right now, using the Seasonic with my i7-8700k and 1070ti primary system and its got extra wattage if you're going to be upgrading components later (also dead quiet). Both are roughly the same price so read some user reviews, but there's lots of quality PSU's so don't feel obligated to stick to those two only.

I've seen positive reviews for Be Quiet!, I'm pretty sure TomsHardware has a review posted somewhere if you wanna check efficiency and noise level comparisons

Reactions: jamdrelik
Solution

jamdrelik

Reputable
May 6, 2019
@throwawayaccnt: Thank you very much for your attention/help.

Could really be caused by some PSUs not being able to hold constant voltage.
Theoretically it drops for a second -> cpu throttling back thus causing the drop.
That's how I understood it, could be wrong, though .

My PC is plugged in to a multi socket (TV, laptop and PC) - I don't really know if this is a factor, but I'm going to plug it into a single socket, so maybe this is helps a bit.

But it's strange that even The Witcher 1 EE has those drops and I've capped the fps to 100 so that I won't notice the drops in form of stutter, but it didn't help and there are no usage spikes (used process explorer to narrow down the search)
Installed on HDD first, then swapped to SSD, no change (expect faster loading times). It's starting to get really frustrating.

Since every codex 3 (of this specific model [and this is my third one - had to return the other 2]) causes coil whine on the gpu (not extreme but it's there) I bet it's the PSU or GPU.

The GPU is factory OC (GPU Z / CPU-Z) even though they wrote in Codex 3 specs that it's the itx aero and not itx aero oc (that's strange because the Mobo says it isn't suited for overclocking -H310 pro 2m).

Guess I just have to go and try a new PSU and/or RAM and see if this solves the problem, or if that whole matter sounds familiar to someone than by all means -> please help.