hawkzrule21

Commendable
Sep 22, 2017
Good day everyone! I posted this one before but I think it just got lost to the bowels of toms magnificent hardware. Haha. But I digress, here's what I'm curious about.
My rig is as follows:
Ga-b75m-d3h mb
I5 3570k cpu
Pny gtx 1660 super 6gb
8gb ram

So I know its stated: I know both my cpu and mb are old and are next for upgrades as that mb isn't compatible with anything better than my current i5 3570k, as far as my research has shown. I also know that my 8gb of ram is pretty well toeing the line of good enough for many of today's games. But I'm not really wondering about how to further upgrade my rig, necessarily. So here's the question:

I play mount and blade 2: bannerlord. It's still in early access beta right now. According to their "recommended" specs, everything is virtually covered to my understanding, minus my cpu being a model or two lower than they would recommend, but most sites I've checked say my rig should run this game just fine. (Side note: I don't honestly know what that specifically means, does that mean it should get 30fps on ultra high settings or maybe a kind of guarantee that it runs smoothly at 30 fps at medium settings, please do enlighten me!)

SO. I want to learn if many of the massive and constant fps drops while playing, 1-5 fps sequences that often last an entire battle and just really overall not good performance, REGARDLESS OF VERY LOW, MEDIUM, VERY HIGH GRAPHIC SETTINGS, im experiencing is my computer OR legitimately just this pre-release game not optimized very well yet. I'm sorry for being so wordy for that payoff, hahaha, just trying to make sure I voice everything so I don't waste anyone's time! :) thank you so much for the help everyone! Have a great day!
Charlie

I have MB: Bannerlord it is a lot of fun, not played in a while though. I kind of get the feeling it is a very CPU heavy type of game with all the physics calculations and stuff.
Normally if your fps doesn't change when you change a games detail settings it means you are CPU bound.
I'll have to installit again to see what kind of fps I get on my system, I don't recall massive fps drops but I probably had it on low graphics settings. I don't really notice the graphics too much as I'm busy trying to stick people with a lance at high speed lol

Reactions: hawkzrule21

hawkzrule21

Commendable
Sep 22, 2017
Well that is news to me! I've never personally built a computer, just paid cyberpowerpc to build mine 10 years ago and have upgraded the graphics card a few times so I'll admit complete lack of knowledge on what functions the cpu has to handle, particularly with a game! I went from a gtx 750 ti, which only ran on lowest bare bones settings at about 5-15fps semi consistently to a 1660 super and CAN run it on ultra settings and some sessions I'll get solid 40fps the entire play through but the odd thing is the very next session it'll super struggle on even medium settings getting MAYBE 20-25 fps. Hence my heavy confusion! Haha thank you for the info!

hawkzrule21

Commendable
Sep 22, 2017
I don't know how far you got to with the game but later on you are fighting with much larger armies I think all but the really high end systems are going to struggle a bit at times
Oh sure sure. I'm far enough in now that there are battles that are well over a thousand troops. But there's another thing about it! I'm sure the sieges require extra processing power sure! The open field battles with max settings after any 1 or 2 real life minutes of massive fps drops, it will usually (USUALLY, NOT ALWAYS) level out at around 20 or 25 fps for the remainder of the battle but in sieges, holy cow! More often than not, unless I'm legitimately just staring at the ground it'll just sit at 1 or 2 fps but it's way more like a fifth of a frame per second! Again, in sure sieges are certainly more intensive, but THAT much more?

Oh sure sure. I'm far enough in now that there are battles that are well over a thousand troops. But there's another thing about it! I'm sure the sieges require extra processing power sure! The open field battles with max settings after any 1 or 2 real life minutes of massive fps drops, it will usually (USUALLY, NOT ALWAYS) level out at around 20 or 25 fps for the remainder of the battle but in sieges, holy cow! More often than not, unless I'm legitimately just staring at the ground it'll just sit at 1 or 2 fps but it's way more like a fifth of a frame per second! Again, in sure sieges are certainly more intensive, but THAT much more?
That doesn't sound right. Have you checked your CPU, GPU and ram useage during gameplay? It may give a clue as to the cause of the poor performance

hawkzrule21

Commendable
Sep 22, 2017
That doesn't sound right. Have you checked your CPU, GPU and ram useage during gameplay? It may give a clue as to the cause of the poor performance
I'd LOVE to know how to get that info! Do you know an easy site to download a tool for that or something? Just as a side note and seems important given what you thought, as you might remember when you are on the settings screen for bannerlord, even at ultra high settings, at the top there is a bar that represents how much memory usage those settings would likely use vs how much your computer has available, at ultra the bar isn't even a third full so even the game is telling me in the settings menu that everything should be fine...

I'd LOVE to know how to get that info! Do you know an easy site to download a tool for that or something? Just as a side note and seems important given what you thought, as you might remember when you are on the settings screen for bannerlord, even at ultra high settings, at the top there is a bar that represents how much memory usage those settings would likely use vs how much your computer has available, at ultra the bar isn't even a third full so even the game is telling me in the settings menu that everything should be fine...
MSI afterburner has an in game overlay I think

hawkzrule21

Commendable
Sep 22, 2017
I think you have to enable the overlay in the settings, select each variable in the monitoring tab and enable the overlay by setting a key in the On-screen display tab
Ok I will do that tonight and let you know my results!! I do really appreciate the help sir! I apologize for my super ignorance! Haha I'll let you know the results tonight!

hawkzrule21

Commendable
Sep 22, 2017
I had a quick look on the mount and blade forum there are quite a few posts complaining about performance, people are saying that a strong CPU and lots of ram is good for this game
I'm astounded you found that info, I need to get better at internet AND computers! Haha! So then let me ask, what do devs "recommended" specs really mean? I mean I get that "minimum" I assume means minimum to play on lowest settings. But what does "recommended" mean then? If you meet those requirements, does that mean you should be good to play on max settings or maybe that your computer is sufficient to get 30fps on lowest settings, medium settings, max settings, what? I've mentioned I know 8gb of ram is borderline, but is that not also covered in that memory bar i mentioned in the games settings menu? I assumed that memory was included in the total available. Which, again, at max settings says I would need something like 2800 something and I have around 8k available or something like that. Again, thanks for your help and patience man!

I'm astounded you found that info, I need to get better at internet AND computers! Haha! So then let me ask, what do devs "recommended" specs really mean? I mean I get that "minimum" I assume means minimum to play on lowest settings. But what does "recommended" mean then? If you meet those requirements, does that mean you should be good to play on max settings or maybe that your computer is sufficient to get 30fps on lowest settings, medium settings, max settings, what? I've mentioned I know 8gb of ram is borderline, but is that not also covered in that memory bar i mentioned in the games settings menu? I assumed that memory was included in the total available. Which, again, at max settings says I would need something like 2800 something and I have around 8k available or something like that. Again, thanks for your help and patience man!
I'll have to check but I think the memory bar in the game settings is for video memory not for system memory.
The other thing is the game is not finished so performance will hopefully improve further over time. The publisher is perhaps being a bit cheeky charging full price for such a game.
I'm not sure what the recommended specs mean for this game.

hawkzrule21

Commendable
Sep 22, 2017
That the game code kind of wastes memory by creating objects (data that uses memory) and when the object and no longer needed by the code the memory they occupy is not released back to the heap (the pool of available memory)
Ok I think I get ya and I might have an example of that. I got the on screen notifications going and took a few screenshots and made a little word document with pics and explains of what's happening. Would you be terribly interested in looking? Totally cool if not, but I don't understand half the numbers being shown and you've been very nice and helpful and figured I'd ask!

hawkzrule21

Commendable
Sep 22, 2017
Aaaand what does that mean?! Haha
I think i know what you're saying with not being optimized for the Greek language you just spoke, haha! I got the on screen display running and took a few screenshots and threw them in a word document with notes on what was happening at the time. I know you've helped immensely, but would you like me to send that to you? Totally cool if not, I've used ALOT of your time! Haha