[SOLVED] My System won't recognize 4TB Hard Drives

Aug 17, 2020
My System recognizes all sorts of HDD's and SSD's, but won't recognize either the WD Black/WD Gold (4TB) HDD's. I tried all SATA-Cables and i dont know any further...

When starting my PC Intel Rapid Storage recognizes the HDD, but when i'm checking my Storage in BIOS, all drives except the 4TB Drives are recognized and further on when Windows is loaded, they arent recognized as well.

When i then Unplug them on a running Windows, they suddenly get regonzied???? But i dont want to replug them on each system start.... :(

CPU: i9 10900X
MB: Asus Prime X299-Deluxe II

SSD's Recognized: Some Samsung 970Evos 120-250GB
HHD Recognized: WD Green or Caviar? - 1TB

Please anyone help me, this is so annoying.

I just talked to the WD Support - well that was probably the saddest conversation i've ever had.

Last edited:
Solution
In the Bios, What mode are your sata ports in? IDE, Legacy, Sata, AHCI, or Raid?

Also, since it shows up in the boot order, I'm thinking the UEFI bios has detected an OS remnant on it. I would use Diskparts "Clean All" command on it if you cant boot up with Secure boot (a bios setting) set to off/disabled.
Aug 17, 2020
Yeah i switched everything around already - i'll try them on another Computer! Sure :) cya later.

Edit: I didn't answer your question: the behaviour is the same when i switch ports. It's really due to the drives or the size of the drives or the power management or something like that. Im just not sure what it is -.- I'll check on another PC! :)

GenericUser

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
Maybe you've already done this, but I'd try going through the BIOS settings and seeing if there is possibly something enabled/disabled that might make it not like these drives.

Are you running a RAID setup in any fashion?

popatim

Titan
If these are new*, try taping off the 3 pins closest to the 'L" or get an power adapter that doesn't use 3.3v (the orange wire) like: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079LY2LTS or cut your orange wires...
*The new Sata 3.3 spec now uses the 3.3v line as a 'Reset' instead causing drives to get stuck in a continuous reset state when attached to a cable that uses 3.3v.

If these are used then they might have remnants of an OS on them and Secure boot would block the drives. if it detects them You can use diskpart's 'clean' command on them from a USB caddy, dock, or enclosure to wipe the drives or try turning of Secure boot - but that may conflict with a NVME booted system.

Aug 17, 2020
Maybe you've already done this, but I'd try going through the BIOS settings and seeing if there is possibly something enabled/disabled that might make it not like these drives.

Are you running a RAID setup in any fashion?
No Raid here no, im running on an NVME 1TB SSD so it's not necessary anymore.
when you installed your operating system did you make sure it was installed using UEFI and not legacy BIOS? Legacy BIOS has a limit with HDD bigger then 2TB
Uhmmm I dont know actually, but the HDD is showing in Windows & working, just not after a fresh-start :/ So it's actually supported but i guess it's more of a power-management kinda thing...

If these are new*, try taping off the 3 pins closest to the 'L" or get an power adapter that doesn't use 3.3v (the orange wire) like: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079LY2LTS or cut your orange wires...
*The new Sata 3.3 spec now uses the 3.3v line as a 'Reset' instead causing drives to get stuck in a continuous reset state when attached to a cable that uses 3.3v.

If these are used then they might have remnants of an OS on them and Secure boot would block the drives. if it detects them You can use diskpart's 'clean' command on them from a USB caddy, dock, or enclosure to wipe the drives or try turning of Secure boot - but that may conflict with a NVME booted system.

Yeah, both are new, that scarily describes my exact issue, i'll look into this and inform you back if it worked or if i have any followup questions, but i think theres also a tutorial out there. :)

popatim

Titan
In the Bios, What mode are your sata ports in? IDE, Legacy, Sata, AHCI, or Raid?

Also, since it shows up in the boot order, I'm thinking the UEFI bios has detected an OS remnant on it. I would use Diskparts "Clean All" command on it if you cant boot up with Secure boot (a bios setting) set to off/disabled.

Solution
Aug 17, 2020

I Use Intel Rapid Storage Technology / RAID ( idont use RAID Tough, and it also didnt work with ahci)