My temps don't seem to be good. Kraken X62

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
So I just installed my Kraken X62 after getting my new PC case and putting my system together.

I then went into P95 and ran the default small fft test and my temps were going up to 83c occasionally spiking up to 90c and then settling back down to the 79-83c mark.

This is on stock everything.

The CPU in question is the i5-4670K.

I have the RAD at the front of the case pushing air outward (at least I think it's pushing outwards, the NZXT logo on the fans is facing inwards to the case.)

I tried pushing the pump and fans to MAX while stressing and that's when I was getting the 79-83c.

it says my liquid temps are about 35-38c.

I don't have an intake fan in the case, just the RAD pushing air out of the front with a single fan pushing air out the back and a single fan grill at the top of the case with no fan on it.

Could this be due to the no intake fan? Should I flip the rear fan to be intake or mount it to the top as intake?

I should be getting better temps than this at stock speeds/voltage. Turbo boost isn't even enabled as far as I'm aware so the CPU is literally running at 3.4Ghz under stress at stock voltage.

If you go to this link and click on Image Gallery you can get picks of the case. It's called the Slate case by ibuypower but it's actually just a customized S340 Elite. There is a slot at the bottom front of the face panel that the air can travel through.
https://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Intel-Z370-Slate

I got this case brand new for $40 because it was basically the S340 Elite and supported the X62 and looked nice with dual TG side panels but it was $40 so it was well within budget.

JalYt_Justin

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017
Not having an intake fan only really affects dust buildup and poor case airflow, but that wouldn't cause CPU temps that high.

Reseat your pump, and also make sure that your pump is running at full speed all the time. AIO pumps don't really cool particularly well if the pump isn't at full speed. If, after reseating, your temps are still very high, check all of your wiring and feel the tubing. If there's no vibration at all, the pump is likely dead and you'll need to RMA the cooler.

Otherwise, it seems to me like you just need to reseat the cooler and make sure you're making proper contact with the CPU.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I don't think it's the pump. The CAM software reports it working but I'll physically check. I'll just take the block off and wipe it clean and apply my own paste like you said. I'm pretty sure it's on there right though. It's perfectly snug and tight. And it was running at full tilt on both pump and fans and those were the temps I was getting

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
So I just ran the stress test again. and I was sitting around the 75c mark with the highest core being 80c after about 15-20min stressing. During this I noticed why the temps were higher than I though they should be. I forgot that when I put the system back together it though I changed CPU's so it wanted me to do stuff in the BIOS and I set my rear case fan to max speed and clicked on the performance mode button. So my CPU is running at 4.2Ghz.

Take a look at CoreTemp results and tell me if those temps are still too high for that clock and vCore.
From my understanding though Haswell runs pretty hot no matter what so these temps should be normal?

2dai1r6.png

Heres a link for those who's web browser doesn't show the picture.
http://tinypic.com/r/2dai1r6/9

JalYt_Justin

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017
Yeah, those temps are fine for sending a Haswell CPU under full load. The ideal number is to keep temps below 83-85C, so with those temps you're still under that.

Still, those temps are pretty uncharacteristic for a 280mm AIO. At only 4 GHz I would expect load temps well under 60C, let alone 80C. 1.2V is also on the low end, which confuses me further. I'm going to make a solid assumption and say that you got really bad luck on your CPU as far as TIM application between the IHS and the die, which is leading for very uncharacteristic temperatures. Obviously I don't recommend delidding but there are tools out there that do make it easier nowadays.

krells

Distinguished
Having no intake and all exhaust fans isn't exactly ideal either. I would switch the radiator fans so that they pull air from outside the case through the radiator. It should lower temperatures a bit and get some airflow in your case too.

biglizard

Respectable
Apr 1, 2016
"I have the RAD at the front of the case pushing air outward (at least I think it's pushing outwards, the NZXT logo on the fans is facing inwards to the case.)

it says my liquid temps are about 35-38c.

I don't have an intake fan in the case, just the RAD pushing air out of the front with a single fan pushing air out the back and a single fan grill at the top of the case with no fan on it.

Could this be due to the no intake fan? Should I flip the rear fan to be intake or mount it to the top as intake?"

Your pulling all system heat through rad, add to that you have a case fan competing with the cooler for what air can flow through top vent/ rear case vents.

I would flip rad around as intake leave rear case fan as exhaust and block off top vent. I would also remove unused pci covers to allow for more venting.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I have a fan I can pull from another case and put on the top vent. Should I set that to output or should I flip the rear vent and top vent as intake? I only ask that because of the fact that there isn't that big of a venting space at the bottom front panel and I'm thinking it might not be open enough for proper air flow as intake.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Ok. So I flipped the fans around to pull air through the RAD into the case instead of pushing air through it to go out. I added the 140mm fan from my Phantom 410 case to the top. It only runs at about 550rpm but it should be enough to help push air out.

I set the AIO fans to run at 95% because I don't think 100% is going to make a difference and it's significantly quieter than 100%. Sounds more like a light fan droning in the background which is fine with me.

I then proceeded to run P95 small fft for 30min and these were the results on average.

P.S. - from my understanding this would be around 65c on ivybridge because supposedly you need to take whatever you are getting on that and add 10c to it for haswell.

11vlifa.png

link for browsers that don't show image:
http://tinypic.com/r/11vlifa/9

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I manually set my voltage to 1.22 which sets it at 1.2219v and set the multiplier to 44 for 4.4Ghz and I'm seeing the same temps of around 75-77c so I think I'm good and that's just what the temps are going to be for that voltage.

I'm going to continue with my OC to see if I can get it to run stable at 4.4Ghz at a lower voltage like 1.2 instead of 1.22 to shave off whatever amount of heat I can from it.

Any other advice or info about the info I've given you guys so far about my temps and for OC is welcome. I tried earlier to run 4.5Ghz at 1.25v but it crashed during the first minute of the test so I think I got the slightly short end of the stick for this CPU. But at least it's running 4.4 at 1.22 and not 4.3 at 1.25 like some other crappier ones.

I'm going to see if 1.25v is the issue and if running 1.22 can allow me to go higher because of Intel chips being weird like that but that'll be later on and I'll make a new thread about my OC.

TRENDING THREADS