[SOLVED] My Thinkcentre m73 desktop computer will not post sometimes.

Dash46

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2016
The problem is my Thinkcentre m73e will not post sometimes and sometimes it will. When it first started it was just random; it would not come on sometimes unless I restart the computer. I dealt with it for a while. Eventually, It began to not come on every time on the first try. The second try it would boot. Just like I did before I just dealt with it and said I will get to it later. Now most of the time it will not post. Every time that it does not post the green light come on and the fan runs meaning there is power going through it. When it does post and boots into Windows, it will stay on with no problems. I could leave it on for hours and it will not power off.

I have done many test on this computer. I have replaced the HDD to see if it is the HDD; same issues. I have check the cpu and have applied thermal paste; this has not work. I have replaced the ram to see if this was the problem; this did not work. I looked at the graphic card to see if there was anything out of line. There does not seem to be. I also thought if the graphic card were bad, it would not stay on when it does post. I have checked the charger a few times with a multi-meter to see if it was the power supply. It is working fine. I have replaced the CMOS a few times. I even replaced with the cmos with a different brand thinking the other brand was not working. I even used the multi -meter on it and it works. All still the same problem.

I do think it is the bios. Sometimes when I take the CMOS out; unplug the computer and press the button with no usb device; then place the CMOS back; pluging the computer back up and powering it on with no USB device, it will turn on. There seem to be a pattern that is pointing more to the bios.

When I enter the bios there were settings that I was not familiar with. I thought when I took the cmos out it would reset the bios; but I am doubting that did anything. I have done some research into it. I figure this would be the quickest way to find answer to my problem.

Solution
Do you have an SKU for your prebuilt?

Sometimes when I take the CMOS out; unplug the computer and press the button with no usb device; then place the CMOS back; pluging the computer back up and powering it on with no USB device, it will turn on
That usually is an indication that your crib might have a grounding issue or that the prebuilt has static charge build up and preventing you from powering up to avoid damaging the innards. Might want to relocate to another wall outlet in your crib to see if the issue persists. When you remove the CMOS, you essentially reset all options in BIOS, even the time.

You sure you're on the latest BIOS update for the prebuilt's motherboard? Latest version for Windows 10 prior to the issue...

Lutfij

Titan
Do you have an SKU for your prebuilt?

Sometimes when I take the CMOS out; unplug the computer and press the button with no usb device; then place the CMOS back; pluging the computer back up and powering it on with no USB device, it will turn on
That usually is an indication that your crib might have a grounding issue or that the prebuilt has static charge build up and preventing you from powering up to avoid damaging the innards. Might want to relocate to another wall outlet in your crib to see if the issue persists. When you remove the CMOS, you essentially reset all options in BIOS, even the time.

You sure you're on the latest BIOS update for the prebuilt's motherboard? Latest version for Windows 10 prior to the issue? Ideally you should be on version 20H2.

Solution

Fatalzo

Great
May 7, 2021
My computer didn't post once.
And it was after a very strange error occured in my OS and i had to restart. It didn't make any noise or start any system drives, it just hung at the HP logo.

If it just happens once in a blue moon then it's likely a soft error but if it's doing it more than once a month then you should be worried. Check the board for corrosion or missing capacitors. How old is your board? It could be the CMOS battery running out of charge.