My Toshiba Canvio Desk 3TB External Hard Drive Will Not Work Anymore

Bigwill26

Commendable
Nov 29, 2016
So I've had this HD for about a year now and just today has stopped working. When I plug it into my xbox one or my laptop the blue light comes on and stays lit but I can also hear something inside of the HD moving and or clicking as if it's trying to work but it just stays on until the light goes out. I use this only for my Xbox One to be able to hold my games. Any suggestions on what is going on or is it just broken? Thanks.

Solution
Hi there Bigwill26,

That is really unpleasant. :(

External HDDs make clicking sounds when there is not enough power supplied to the devices, or when there is something wrong with it. (in most cases, the HDD inside has some mechanical flaw)

So, you can try using a different USB cable, so you can rule out the possibility of not enough power supplied to the device. If the issue persists and if the drive is under warranty, you can contact the place you got it from and RMA it.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)
Hi there Bigwill26,

That is really unpleasant. :(

External HDDs make clicking sounds when there is not enough power supplied to the devices, or when there is something wrong with it. (in most cases, the HDD inside has some mechanical flaw)

So, you can try using a different USB cable, so you can rule out the possibility of not enough power supplied to the device. If the issue persists and if the drive is under warranty, you can contact the place you got it from and RMA it.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

Solution