Question My Toshiba Satellite P205-6337 won't detect SSD in BIOS.

Sep 4, 2020
Hi all.

I have a Toshiba P205 6337. Originally came with a 200GB HDD running Vista. I've been dropping in SSDs on older laptops to reuse them for online schooling, but this one's got me stumped.

When I place the SSD (blank, formatted) in the lone SATA slot the BIOS doesn't recognize it. But I know the SSD is good as I can see it via USB on other machines. On the Toshiba P205 I've even been able to install Xubuntu via a live cd. So Xubuntu sees it in the SATA port, but the BIOS doesn't hence I can't boot off it. I tried an older HDD with the same Xubuntu install and it gets detected and boots.

The BIOS is very rudimentary and doesn't have any SATA configurations for IDE or AHCI. I was thinking of updating the BIOS but all the BIOS update files I see for it have to be run off Windows, and the old 200GB HDD with the Vista is trashed. Also, documentations for updated BIOS don't say anything about AHCI.

Any ideas guys? Is it a BIOS limitation? Is it a SATA controller issue? Is the laptop just too old for SSD? This laptop came out around 2006 I think. Core 2 Duo T5300 with 2GB ram.

Would appreciate your help. Thanks.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS