my turning on and off repeatedly

Bill Hilly579

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
hi.i have a second pc that I built in the beginning of the year which is giving me some unexpected issues.i put the pc aside for a couple of days then I decided to setup my pc and plug it in the wall.unfortunately when I press start the pc turns on and off repeatedly. I have no idea why this happens but when this happened before I tried taking out my memory stick and booting it without a memory stick and putting the memory stick in and the pc booted up fine.however when I unplug my pc and leave it out for a few hours and replug it in,the pc turns on and off repeatedly.i have no idea why tho.

Dan_97

Reputable
Jun 27, 2016
Is it making a noise when you leave the RAM in the PC? It's possible that the RAM is just bad. Usually when you have a bad stick of RAM your PC will shutoff or act weird,try to reboot, make beeping sounds,etc.

Bill Hilly579

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
hi.unfortunely I don't have a inbuilt speaker so I cant tell what the noise is.with my issue it just keeps booting on for a split second and then shuts off.and does that repeatedly.but the strange thing is that this occurs when I completely unplug my pc from the wall and leave it out without power for some time.not sure why tho.could that still be related to memory?

Dan_97

Reputable
Jun 27, 2016
Well everything except for the shutting on and off while being unplugged sounds like bad memory. Your power supply could possibly be holding a residual charge but that's very unusual.

Bill Hilly579

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
actually found my cpu and dram led doing some things when I turn it on.i can show you a vid of it.maybe if you see it you might be able to tell.btw I updated my bios to the latest but ill reupdate it to be sure.

Bill Hilly579

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
heres a footage of what it looks like https://vimeo.com/221697728

notice in the part of the vid when I record the lights going up and doing then up,the top light that flashes is cpu then the second is dram.so it flashes from cpu to dram to cpu then the pc turns off and repeats.i hope this might give a further hint on whats going on

Dan_97

Reputable
Jun 27, 2016
This may sound silly, but what do you have the voltage switch on your psu set to? If you live in the USA it should be set to 115v. If you have it set to 230v (assuming you live in the US) it can cause this problem. It's also possible that your power button could be shorting (not uncommon either). If it's neither of those I would try putting another stick of ram in the place of the one you removed and see if it boots.

Dan_97

Reputable
Jun 27, 2016

If you don't have a switch for voltage on your PSU(not uncommon). Then it should be autoset for your region (meaning voltage isn't the problem.)