[SOLVED] My tx speed is lower on my PC than on other WiFi devices ?

Hatchepsut

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
Hi, I have a zyxel c3000z with centurylink, 1gig plan. i have like 8 devices, if you count 1 smart tv, 1 roku, 4 phones, 2 tablets, 1 laptop and my desktop pc, and siblings playstation. not all running at the same time, but probably 5 from the list almost always on youtube or some other internet resource.

I find that my speed is round 20 mbps at max, and can crawl to 1 mbps and makes it unable to load youtube vidoes.

At one time i was able to stream 4k smoothly, but now i can barely watch a full 1080p video. Also maybe the main issue is i get dropped from the internet all the time, every 10 or 20 min, it disconnects, then reconnects after about 30 seconds.

I use a USB wireless adapter and i upgraded the drivers from the disk. ive been troubleshooting the issues for months but it has gotten to annoying to pay so much but not get any improvement in internet than the 40mbps plan i used to have.

The usb wifi adapter is Techkey dual band AC1200M

I have no idea how to solve this at this point so looking for any advice. I went into the modem configuration and saw a client table, and it had tx and rx rates, my pc was at around 80 tx rate, and 175 rx rate. but my siblings laptop is at 866 tx rate.

Thanks for any help!

Solution
kanewolf is entirely correct that placing your USB connection can make a huge difference to it's performance definitely worth a try. Stupid point but also make sure that you have it connected to a USB 3.0 plug and not a USB 2.0 plug or you will see performance drops.

Lastly it sounds like you are using a desktop? If you have a spare PCIe slot then you can try a normal add in card like the below...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi, I have a zyxel c3000z with centurylink, 1gig plan. i have like 8 devices, if you count 1 smart tv, 1 roku, 4 phones, 2 tablets, 1 laptop and my desktop pc, and siblings playstation. not all running at the same time, but probably 5 from the list almost always on youtube or some other internet resource.

I find that my speed is round 20 mbps at max, and can crawl to 1 mbps and makes it unable to load youtube vidoes.

At one time i was able to stream 4k smoothly, but now i can barely watch a full 1080p video. Also maybe the main issue is i get dropped from the internet all the time, every 10 or 20 min, it disconnects, then reconnects after about 30 seconds.

I use a USB wireless adapter and i upgraded the drivers from the disk. ive been troubleshooting the issues for months but it has gotten to annoying to pay so much but not get any improvement in internet than the 40mbps plan i used to have.

The usb wifi adapter is Techkey dual band AC1200M

I have no idea how to solve this at this point so looking for any advice. I went into the modem configuration and saw a client table, and it had tx and rx rates, my pc was at around 80 tx rate, and 175 rx rate. but my siblings laptop is at 866 tx rate.

Thanks for any help!
Your sibling's laptop is connecting to the 5Ghz WIFI. It sounds like your only connecting to the 2.4Ghz WIFI.
USB WIFI adapters are notoriously bad. They get placed where they are blocked by the case many times. Try a USB extension cable to move the adapter up to a better location -- https://www.amazon.com/Cablecc-Female-Extension-Station-Docking/dp/B07SH4RZ6S/

eldridgep2

Commendable
Dec 24, 2020
kanewolf is entirely correct that placing your USB connection can make a huge difference to it's performance definitely worth a try. Stupid point but also make sure that you have it connected to a USB 3.0 plug and not a USB 2.0 plug or you will see performance drops.

Lastly it sounds like you are using a desktop? If you have a spare PCIe slot then you can try a normal add in card like the below:

They don't cost a lot have full size external antenna meet the new wi-fi 6 ax standards and you can use the default Intel AX200 drivers I found on my desktop this works much better than any USB device I've had. USB connections are for convenience if you want dedicated performance there are better options.

Solution

Hatchepsut

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
Your sibling's laptop is connecting to the 5Ghz WIFI. It sounds like your only connecting to the 2.4Ghz WIFI.
USB WIFI adapters are notoriously bad. They get placed where they are blocked by the case many times. Try a USB extension cable to move the adapter up to a better location -- https://www.amazon.com/Cablecc-Female-Extension-Station-Docking/dp/B07SH4RZ6S/

I am using 5ghz wifi also, the usb is on the front of the case in usb 3.0 and the problem is that when i first ugraded my wifi, i was getting those nice speeds above 100mbps. now its stuck below 20 usually around 8, but something else is going on where it disconnects frequently in the middle of a youtube video and has to reconnect.

Hatchepsut

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013

Lastly it sounds like you are using a desktop? If you have a spare PCIe slot then you can try a normal add in card like the below:

They don't cost a lot have full size external antenna meet the new wi-fi 6 ax standards and you can use the default Intel AX200 drivers I found on my desktop this works much better than any USB device I've had. USB connections are for convenience if you want dedicated performance there are better options.

I am using 5ghz wifi also, the usb is on the front of the case in usb 3.0 and the problem is that when i first ugraded my wifi, i was getting those nice speeds above 100mbps. now its stuck below 20 usually around 8, but something else is going on where it disconnects frequently in the middle of a youtube video and has to reconnect. I dont think its the hardware unless its old, but when i plug in another one i get even worst speeds. I cant even watch 1080p videos anymore.

Hatchepsut

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013

I moved my usb to the other slot and now its at 35 mbs, so i guess its just about the wirlesss connection, ill try an expensive one that goes in the case when i get more money, ty for help