Question My Ubuntu is Extremely Slow on a Fast Machine

May 11, 2023
Ubuntu version - 23.04
Laptop - HP Elitbook 840 g3
Processor - i7 6th generation
RAM - 24GB DDR4
SSD - Samsung EVO Plus 970 M.2 (500GB)

My Ubuntu is installed on the M.2 along with Windows 11. Win11 seems fast enough but Ubuntu is lagging and very slow to open even a directory, terminal, browser. What can be the cause of this issue?

I have updated from Update manager and from terminal using sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y

Here is the journalctl output of first 2000 lines... https://pastebin.com/8tt0ZCjg

From HP's web site, It doesn't seems that HP support Linux nor offer dedicated drivers that is not already in kernel.

I'd guess that something have gone wrong in the installation or there is a bad setting somewhere, or there OP have followed some online recipe and installed some software not helpful.

First: I want to know if Ubuntu was perceived being slow/laggy also when not installed (i.e. booted to live desktop from iso image file) ?
This will hopefully give an indication if it indeed is something off with the hardware support of the actual hardware.

May 11, 2023
run drive and cpu benchmark if both runs under linux as they should
if no issue there, then id look into swap/cache partition(s) if theres free space left

From HP's web site, It doesn't seems that HP support Linux nor offer dedicated drivers that is not already in kernel.

I'd guess that something have gone wrong in the installation or there is a bad setting somewhere, or there OP have followed some online recipe and installed some software not helpful.

First: I want to know if Ubuntu was perceived being slow/laggy also when not installed (i.e. booted to live desktop from iso image file) ?
This will hopefully give an indication if it indeed is something off with the hardware support of the actual hardware.
I didn't boot from Live USB. But I have decided to install Ununtu 22 instead of 23. Should I do a complete clean installation or I can just downgrade from terminal?

I didn't boot from Live USB. But I have decided to install Ununtu 22 instead of 23. Should I do a complete clean installation or I can just downgrade from terminal?
Ah - why not using one of the most useful features (in my opinion) of the Linux Desktop world?

Ok, help me to get this - why install any modern desktop Linux distro without trying it out offline to test how it works on a certain hardware ?

Ok, I was trying to google for a proper video, but Google seems to have decided trolling me, because it seems to only serve results as if wanted "graphical non-static desktop" when I tried to find resources on the topic "Linux live desktop".

Google not helping so I must explain myself.
When you boot up your typical desktop Linux from it's iso image, you get to this first option. It differs how many options you can choose from, but you will typically find "Try <name-of-distro>" in the list. After choosing that, the system will boot into a fully working desktop - it runs only ram so in this mode, any changes get lost at shutdown or reboot.

Also in this mode, it use to be some extra features not included in the installed version (unless manually installed afterwards), such as Gparted for editing partitions.

This mode is also very useful to e.g. test if the native Linux distro support your hardware out of the box. WiFi and Raid adapters are typically devices that - at least in the past - was often not supported (Not a Linux fault - i.e. manufacturers didn't care make a driver for Linux Kernel).

Reactions: shrafibd
May 11, 2023
Well I have installed Ubuntu 22.04 and it seems pretty smoothly running on my machine. I guest the latest version is yet to optimize a bit. Therefore its still not running as it suppose to be on all machine.