[SOLVED] My "up-to-date" PC freeze and reboots while playing games

Feb 20, 2020
Hello, thanks in advance for reading this post.

Okay so my new pc randomly freezes and reboots while playing games after 2-3 hours of gameplay. Im playing with 140+ fps, so its not a problem with my ín-game performance.

My specs are: GTX 1080 8GB, CPU i7-9700K OC to 5 GHz, Corsair PSU 650W, ASUS Z390-F MB and 16GB DDR4 3200 ram. Temps are good for my rig. And components are all new. And drivers are up to date.

Followed this video for overclocking adwise. CPU temp at max performance is at 50-60 max. Random freeze and reboot happend one time before OC to.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=bD1Ze80GpLo&feature=emb_title

What are my options? Tried to search google and forums, but found no solid answer.

Solution
Hi @NocturiusHD,

1st off, Welcome to the forums, & 2nd, nice PC. :) The 9700k is a beast.

Realistically, there could be any number if factors at play causing the freezing. You said it froze once before you OC'd it. Can you replicate it on a fairly consistent basis? How often does it freeze post OC vs the 1 Pre-OC freeze? You said every 2-3hrs of gaming. Was that one day it did it or over several days/weeks/months that it'll freeze?

Good that you checked your temps and found them to be within specs.

Have you gone back to basics and uninstalled all the hardware from the mobo and then reinstalled everything? You said all drivers were up to date which is good, & does that include the mobo's Bios? Especially if you are OC'ing...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi @NocturiusHD,

1st off, Welcome to the forums, & 2nd, nice PC. :) The 9700k is a beast.

Realistically, there could be any number if factors at play causing the freezing. You said it froze once before you OC'd it. Can you replicate it on a fairly consistent basis? How often does it freeze post OC vs the 1 Pre-OC freeze? You said every 2-3hrs of gaming. Was that one day it did it or over several days/weeks/months that it'll freeze?

Good that you checked your temps and found them to be within specs.

Have you gone back to basics and uninstalled all the hardware from the mobo and then reinstalled everything? You said all drivers were up to date which is good, & does that include the mobo's Bios? Especially if you are OC'ing.

Have you tried an older driver for your 1080? Possibly the new one is causing an issue. Did you use DDR prior to updating your GPU drivers? What are your GPU temps? Do you have good airflow in your case? Do you have Precision X1 or MSI Afterburner installed?

How about RGB's? Some games do not like/play-well-with/or even run with certain RGB's enabled. Namely some speaker systems. Though these are usually detected before the game starts rather than during & thus causing a freeze.

Cleared Cmos and run everything at default?

Have you run stress tests on your RAM? Is it a matching 2x8GB kit or a 4x4GB kit? Your RAM isn't mixed & matched I take it since it's a new system?

Whats the exact model of your Corsair PSU?

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 20, 2020
Thanks for fast reply! Im currently at work..

Once a day max. Playing somewhere around 3-4 hours a day. Reboot happening under stress while playing.

Have you gone back to basics and uninstalled all the hardware from the mobo and then reinstalled everything? You said all drivers were up to date which is good, & does that include the mobo's Bios? Especially if you are OC'ing.
Havent tried to reset drivers or reinstall mobos bios.

Have you tried an older driver for your 1080? Possibly the new one is causing an issue. Did you use DDR prior to updating your GPU drivers? What are your GPU temps? Do you have good airflow in your case? Do you have Precision X1 or MSI Afterburner installed?
Nope, but all drivers are up to date. GPU temps are around 50-60 on full load. Water cooled both GPU and CPU (NZXT).

Have you run stress tests on your RAM? Is it a matching 2x8GB kit or a 4x4GB kit? Your RAM isn't mixed & matched I take it since it's a new system?
2x8GB ram (X). Inserted like this.. CPU ( ) (X) ( ) (X) egde of mobo.

Whats the exact model of your Corsair PSU?
Corsair RM650x 650W PSU

TRENDING THREADS