System:
Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel Z170 ATX DDR4 Motherboards GA-Z170X-Gaming 3
Intel Core i5 6600K 3.50 GHz( 4.0ghz OC ) Quad Core, Socket LGA 1151, 6MB Cache
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz (PC4-24000) C15
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SSC GAMING ACX 2.0+
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 80 Plus Gold Rated, Fully Modular ATX 12V/EPS 12V ECO
Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)
Corsair Carbide Series 100R Mid Tower Case
Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64 Bit System Builder OEM | PC Disc
9year old 1080p 24" viewsonic 5ms monitor

Im considering going to 3440x1440 by buying:
Acer Predator Gaming X34 Pbmiphzx Curved 34" UltraWide QHD Monitor
ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2080 Overclocked 8G GDDR6

1. with more expierenced eyes out there could you please give insight on whether i'll be bottlenecked by the 6600k and if so how bad?
a. could i get away with it for awhile and upgrade motherboard/cpu down the road?
b. maybe oc cpu more with a better cooler?
2. also 650 gold psu enough?

(side note: getting a 1tb ssd for more storage, steam games filling it up)
(back story: My old PC took a dump... i bought this system better than two years ago and was going to go with a 970 but i heard the 10 series cards were just about to launch so i got the 960 and planned to sell it and get a 1070 a few months down the road but just never got around to it.)

Solution
PSU should be enough.
CPU needs to be overclocked, will still be a slight bottleneck for the 2080, but only in select cases where a game you're playing happens to be more reliant on CPU than on GPU.

Not too many games like that out there but they do exists.
Some I can think of off the top of my head is Shadow of the Tomb Raider, AC: Origins, AC: Odyssey, GTAV and perhaps a couple more.

But all in all I would recommend a nice cooler to start pushing the i5 to it's max stable overclock and it will service you quite well for a while giving you plenty of time to work up to the money needed for something beefier and hyper threaded to match well with your 2080 and for having it when some newer games come out requiring more CPU power to run...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
PSU should be enough.
CPU needs to be overclocked, will still be a slight bottleneck for the 2080, but only in select cases where a game you're playing happens to be more reliant on CPU than on GPU.

Not too many games like that out there but they do exists.
Some I can think of off the top of my head is Shadow of the Tomb Raider, AC: Origins, AC: Odyssey, GTAV and perhaps a couple more.

But all in all I would recommend a nice cooler to start pushing the i5 to it's max stable overclock and it will service you quite well for a while giving you plenty of time to work up to the money needed for something beefier and hyper threaded to match well with your 2080 and for having it when some newer games come out requiring more CPU power to run at higher graphic settings with higher resolutions.

And I'll give you something to think about as well:
While ultrawide monitors are cool, they are not necessarily practical for gaming.
If you are a content creator and use video editing software, ultrawide is nicer for the extra space you have to work with in the timeline.
And for the extra space for multitasking and productivity.

If going more for gaming, would be better off getting a 1440p display with a 16:9 aspect ration instead. Less pixels means more fps from your GPU.

Staying with 16:9 you can get a nice 1440p monitor with high refresh rate and G-Sync for about $400 - $500 on the cheaper end.
I personally have the Dell S2716DG and it's fantastic and I love it to death.

in regards to you getting a 1TB SSD, try and seriously consider what you're going to use that SSD for. Cuz if it's just for games, don't bother.
You won't see a worth while improvement in load times for the extreme cost of one of those things.

for the price of a good quality 1TB SSD (which is the MX500 at about $150) you can get a 6TB HDD 7200RPM for ALL your games and miscellaneous files as well as having plenty of room on it to do an entire backup of your SSD in the off chance you need to revert back to a previous state of the SSD.

leaving your 500GB SSD for OS, main applications, and the select few games out there that actually benefit from loading off an SSD.

Solution

Gibstone

Reputable
Jul 26, 2014
update! I've had a couple, cough.
I was gona go with the ASUS ROG Swift PG278QR 27” but after reading about the horrid anti glare coating I decided against it. I did end up going with the dell you recommended and let me tell you... going from a 1080/60hz monitor I've used for 8 years to the dell with a 2080 is fukin un-real....!!!! also I did grab a Seagate 3tb 7200 drive.

now after spending 1400-1500 on those upgrades im already planning on upgrading the cpu/mb lol, oh I also upgraded the psu to a 850 80+ gold just incase.

im considering a 9700k with a ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E. im thinking my ram is fine to continue to use.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador

ah... so you are experiencing G-Sync first hand for the first time eh?
little notes about this monitor, do not enable fast response time in the OSD.
Makes it weird because it's intended for 120Hz and ULMB enabled with G-Sync off.

So just leave the setting to normal.
Then just go into nvidia control panel and make sure you're running 144Hz 1440p and then enable G-Sync for Fullscreen and Windowed applications.

Little side note though, some games don't play nice with G-Sync in windowed mode or borderless. If you're playing a game in one of those modes and notice screen tearing, switch it to exclusive fullscreen and the problem should be resolved.