[SOLVED] My USB 3.0 header is stuck, how do i get it off?

Jun 16, 2021
My USB 3.0 header is stuck on my motherboard and won't come off, I've tried wiggling the heck out of it and it still won't come out. I've tried pulling on it pretty hard while wiggling and it still didn't work, any more force and I'm afraid my motherboard might snap or something. Pls help!

Solution
Sadly this is very common (virtually universal).

I suggest finding high-resolution photos of the plug and socket online. You will see that there are tiny bumps that act as clips that hold it in.

Turn the PC off, unplug the mains power, press the PC power on button a couple of times (this will discharge most of the power in the PSU capacitors), then carefully use a pointy knife and release the bumps, make sure that you don't do any harm to the motherboard or yourself, perhaps something like a cocktail stick would work, perhaps even fingernails, but you really need to see the pictures to figure out what to do.

This is the only way I know of to do this, it's not your fault, it is simply a 💩 design from the USB design people. Some...

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
Sadly this is very common (virtually universal).

I suggest finding high-resolution photos of the plug and socket online. You will see that there are tiny bumps that act as clips that hold it in.

Turn the PC off, unplug the mains power, press the PC power on button a couple of times (this will discharge most of the power in the PSU capacitors), then carefully use a pointy knife and release the bumps, make sure that you don't do any harm to the motherboard or yourself, perhaps something like a cocktail stick would work, perhaps even fingernails, but you really need to see the pictures to figure out what to do.

This is the only way I know of to do this, it's not your fault, it is simply a 💩 design from the USB design people. Some people rip off pins, some get bent and some rip off the plastic connector (like me) and left the pins behind.

Having trawled through eBay looking at 2nd hand motherboards, this is an exceptionally common problem that was thankfully fixed with the USB C designed motherboard headers.

Good luck (y)

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=usb+3+header&t=h_&iax=images&ia=images

Solution