My USB 3.0 transferring at 9MB a second.. ??

obelizk

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Hey guys. I just bought a Seagate USB 3.0 3 Terrabyte external drive and a AcomData USB 3.0 expresscard for my Dell Studio 1747 laptop which has a 250 ggb 7200 RPM hard drive and an i7 processor.

I plugged everything in and tried to copy files over from my laptop hard drive to the seagate one using USB 3.0, and I got speeds as low as 9MB/second and I think at one point 30MB/second, but the average is around 13 or so.

PLEASE help. This sucks.

I installed all the drivers for the expresscard. Is there some way of checking if it's working properly? or making it go faster?

larkspur

Distinguished

The files you were copying from your laptop's internal hard drive were probably not sequentially written across that disk and thus you would see typical slow random read speeds during copying. The faster USB3.0 interface is great if the hard drive can actually utilize it. The increased speed is best utilized for sequential reads and writes as shown in this review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3858/the-worlds-first-3tb-hdd-seagate-goflex-desk-3tb-review/5

Also - it appears those GoFlex drives need some kind of special adapter/dock to do USB3.0, are you sure yours is the USB3.0 version? Including the adapter/dock or whatever?

Use a hard-drive benchmark utility to get an idea of whether you are saturating USB3.0 or not. Real-world file copying is too inconsistent and erratic to make a judgement.

obelizk

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011

I have the GoFlex drive that supports USB 3.0, and I'm using a USB 3.0 cable as well. While i was installing the drivers I saw a popup saying "this USB could be working faster" or something like that, and then it just disappeared. What is a hard drive benchmark utility and where can I get one?

obelizk

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011

I'll look for firmware updates right now. Maybe that could have something to do with it

larkspur

Distinguished

Try Atto: http://www.attotech.com/products/product.php?sku=Disk_Benchmark

Use the freeware version. Post your results (take a screen shot). The drive should work fine without updating the firmware but you can try that. It's important for you to run a benchmark so we can see if your drive is in fact running slower than it should be. You can also benchmark the internal hard drive in your notebook and compare.

benchmark is just a written numbers but actual performance is the determinant " real world testing "

larkspur

Distinguished

Read the definition of a benchmark. There is a reason they exist. They are used for diagnosis purposes EXACTLY like this one. If he just copies some files from his laptop's internal disk to his external USB3.0 hard drive we have no idea where in that process a potential bottleneck is occurring. We have no idea what types of files he is copying or how they are written. His laptop's internal drive might be very slow. Who knows? A benchmark eliminates those unknown variables and allows a comparison to other drives without the unknowns. Until we determine that his drive is actually performing slower than it should be, we have no idea if there even is a malfunction. All he's done so far is copy files from a laptop's internal disk. Benchmark results are needed.

larkspur

Distinguished
Here is a link to a review of the internal version of your hard drive: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=708&Itemid=60&limit=1&limitstart=4

Note they are using the "AS SSD Benchmark utility" provided for free. If you download that utility and run it on your drive you can compare it to the results in that review. Your drive should perform very close (slightly slower due to less cache) to the results in that review. If it is much slower then you know you have a driver/firmware/interface problem.

If you used Atto, here is the page of that review with the Atto results that should be comparable to your drive: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=708&Itemid=60&limit=1&limitstart=5

How do they compare?

larkspur

Distinguished

When you consider how slow mechanical disks are with 4kb randoms, I'm not convinced his drive is performing slow relative to its class. Could they pack any more platters in there? :pt1cable: File copying from a laptop hard disk (that may or may not be heavily fragmented) doesn't tell the whole story.

Transfer rate is affected by just about every internal performance factor you can name. The number of platters influences it by changing the mix of head and cylinder switches; actuator design and controller circuitry affect the switch times; media issues and spindle speed influence the all-important underlying media transfer rates. There's probably no other performance specification that is affected by so many different design factors.

TRENDING THREADS