My USB Flashdisk shuts off my computer..?

MikeV18

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Hey, I wasn't sure where to put this post, I think this is the proper place...

Anyways. I have a Acer Travelmate 660(My work computer), and whenever I plug my USB key into the side of it, the entire machine just shuts off. No errors or anything just plug it in and boom dead.

It comes back up fine without saying anything about recovering from a serious error or anything else..

Is there a power setting or something that I need to alter in order to not have my computer shut off when I use it? Thanks a ton!

~Mike

rupert86

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
Maybe its shorting some component so the supply trips? Try installing it on some other PC. (I'm saying this b/c its the connectors that first fail in the flash drives, not the flash chips themselves. This is maybe due to the repeated plug/unplug).

djimusic

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
hey, I have a Desktop machine which this also happens to. Do you actually plug it in, or just touch it to the USB port. Mine just shuts down when I touch it to it.

mosetd

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
I have a desktop that if any usb touches the usb port the whole system shuts down instantly. The system will turn back on but with no picture. I then have to turn the power supply off at the switch, wait a couple seconds, turn the power supply back on, and then turn the machine on. It will run fine until a usb tries to enter that port again. Is it a short? It is a front panel usb port.

G

This problem is related to a confusion issue with Windows. I ran into the exact same issue with some of my clients having their systems shut down when they plugged in a usb drive or camera to their computer. Being on a network, we had a mapped "F" drive to the server. The issue was that Windows wanted to assign the USB items to the F drive that was already in use by a network drive. The result is that Windows sees this as a critical hardware failure because 2 drives, even if 1 is a network drive, cannot share the exact drive letter.
To test the theory, one of the clients had plugged their USB drive into the computer while it was off, and then booted their system. The result was that their computer could no longer see the network mapped "F" drive because the USB drive was taking up the "F" drive position.
How to check if this will resolve your problem:
Go into the control panel on your computer and then go into administrative tools. Now go into computer management and click on disk management. change the drive letters of some of your other drives or printers to something above M: drive, except for your C-Drive, which you do not want to change letters on. Now restart your computer and try plugging in your USB device once you are logged in and see if this resolves your issue. Hope that helps.

G

This problem is related to a confusion issue with Windows. I ran into the exact same issue with some of my clients having their systems shut down when they plugged in a usb drive or camera to their computer. Being on a network, we had a mapped "F" drive to the server. The issue was that Windows wanted to assign the USB items to the F drive that was already in use by a network drive. The result is that Windows sees this as a critical hardware failure because 2 drives, even if 1 is a network drive, cannot share the exact drive letter.
To test the theory, one of the clients had plugged their USB drive into the computer while it was off, and then booted their system. The result was that their computer could no longer see the network mapped "F" drive because the USB drive was taking up the "F" drive position.
How to check if this will resolve your problem:
Go into the control panel on your computer and then go into administrative tools. Now go into computer management and click on disk management. change the drive letters of some of your other drives or printers to something above M: drive, except for your C-Drive, which you do not want to change letters on. Now restart your computer and try plugging in your USB device once you are logged in and see if this resolves your issue. Hope that helps.

MoanaTimothy

Reputable
Apr 30, 2014
this happens to me too. I found a 16 gig pny jump drive on the ground and im wondering if its some sort of virus, but it scared the shizz out of me. I thinks its just the computer but im not so sure! if you have any reasons of this happening, find me on twitter @moanatimothy