[SOLVED] My USB keyboard frequently stops working until unplugged & plugged again. What is the problem?

Mar 23, 2020
This problem has been a developing problem over the last several months. Initially I would only see a short keyboard freeze for 5 seconds before everything working again. Then my keyboard would stop working randomly. This would initially happen probably once or twice a day. But as the time passed by, its frequency increased significantly while now my keyboard stops working like 6 times an hour! Even while I was typing this, I had to unplug and plug the keyboard at least once.
My PC has 10 USB ports. Some are USB 3.0s and some are USB 2.0s. I have tried the keyboard with all the USB ports. Albeit some of my USB ports seem slightly more stable, the keyboard will eventually stop working in all of them. For example while the front USB ports cause the keyboard to stop working like 3 times an hour, the back USB ports cause it to stop working 6 times an hour.
Other issues I see with this PC is that sometimes when I put the PC into sleep mode, it won’t wake up via keyboard as usual, which is not surprising as you can imagine, it probably is related to the keyboard but the thing is that it then even won’t turn on by pressing the “restart button on the PC case” and only turns on by pressing the “power button on the PC case” which then the PC wakes up a sleep as usual.
Other USB devices connected to the PC seem unaffected.
For example my gaming mouse always works flawlessly. I have a wireless USB Wi-Fi adapter which is always on and is connected to the USBs at the back of the PC and it seems it always works flawlessly too. I can also connect my phone via USB port to the PC, which again works fine. Also my printer (and scanner) which is connected via USB at the back of the PC seems to work correctly.
I have to tell you my PC gives me occasionally random but frequent BSOD error messages as well.
The keyboard model is Logitech K280e.
I personally have this gut feeling that the issue is probably related to the "motherboard". I say this because I always get BSODs, I mean like once every week, I get a new BSOD. The BSODs occurrence have remained constant throughout the years with this PC. Even after I replaced my graphic card, hard disk and even after I freshly installed Windows several times, the BSODs have remained a constant feature of this PC but now this keyboard problem has been added to them too.
So what is wrong with my PC?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Final solution:
In this case, the user’s keyboard was simply broken. His motherboard or PSU had no problem.
Fortunately by changing his keyboard, his problem was fully resolved.

Last edited:
Solution
it could be the keyboard.
you can test the hardware - at least eliminate windows as an issue - by booting into linux and testing the keyboard there, new drivers and everything will mean any issues in linux will be hardware related.

Boot to a USB drive with linux on it. grab a USB drive, a copy of rufus and a linux distribution.
http://distrowatch.com/ has tons of differing linux distributions and download links. I personally am fond of linux mint with cinnamon.
https://rufus.ie/ the utility used to extract the ISO file to the USB drive.

use rufus to extract the selected ISO to the thumb drive. it will make the drive bootable and you can run linux from the drive once done.
Reboot into linux and proceed to test the...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
it could be the keyboard.
you can test the hardware - at least eliminate windows as an issue - by booting into linux and testing the keyboard there, new drivers and everything will mean any issues in linux will be hardware related.

Boot to a USB drive with linux on it. grab a USB drive, a copy of rufus and a linux distribution.
http://distrowatch.com/ has tons of differing linux distributions and download links. I personally am fond of linux mint with cinnamon.
https://rufus.ie/ the utility used to extract the ISO file to the USB drive.

use rufus to extract the selected ISO to the thumb drive. it will make the drive bootable and you can run linux from the drive once done.
Reboot into linux and proceed to test the hardware. connect to internet, watch videos, await problems.
if linux is good and stable the issue is most likely inside windows or otherwise software related.
this is a test of the hardware.

Solution
I am glad it is working so far, and hope it continues to do so. Some of this has to do with the keyboard driver and how it wants to interact with your OS. In more "modern" systems, I don't even know that this is still an option (could be, I haven't looked for this specific option in a while). Fingers crossed :)