[SOLVED] My USB to ethernet adapter and ethernet cable isnt affecting my internet speed

Dec 25, 2019
Ive bought a USB to ethernet adapter and an ethernet cable, and ive plugged the ethernet cable from the wifi modem to the usb to ethernet adapter into my laptop, and it hasnt affected the speed of my internet on my laptop. I took an internet speed test before and after i plugged in the ethernet cable and adapter, but it hasnt changed at all. Some information is that theres an orange flashing light and a green light thats always on on my USB to Ethernet adapter. -Joseph

Solution
Before you started all this, you were accessing the internet on your laptop via WIFI on your laptop to your modem, correct? Is it possible your laptop is still accessing the internet via WIFI to your modem? In other words, is it possible your laptop is not accessing the internet via your USB to ethernet adapter to your modem?
Dec 25, 2019
Not really my cup of tea,but i'll give it a shot.

Maybe you are maxing out your subscription with your isp. What are the results? What should you get from your isp?
Maybe modem/router is old and doesn't give more. What model?
It is fairly new, (6-7 months), and the model is HG659b from spark. I am not too sure about the ISP stuff you asked but I do know that my ISP is spark.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Well looking at specs is the modem/router not the problem. What speed should you expect from your isp? And what do you get now when testing?
When i ask about that i mean for instance, i personally get 250down/25up from my isp which i do get when testing.

Maybe update routers firmware,might help.

Have a similar adapter TP-Link UE300 and get same results with that so if if you have a good one should it not matter.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2019
Well looking at specs is the modem/router not the problem. What speed should you expect from your isp? And what do you get now when testing?
When i ask about that i mean for instance, i personally get 250down/25up from my isp which i do get when testing.

Maybe update routers firmware,might help.

Have a similar adapter TP-Link UE300 and get same results with that so if if you have a good one should it not matter.
I think i have a Fibre BASIC and here is the speed test: http://prntscr.com/qg6ala

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Seems to be this?
Ultra Fibre®BASIC Offer Summary - Retired - Internet - Spark NZ Ltd
should at least be getting more than you see now.

Did you reset the router? There probably will be a small button at the back of it which nees to be pushed (maybe for a certain amount of seconds,but his needs to be found in the manual). Think it is the little "spot" next to the telephone connectors. Probably need something small like a thick needle (something like that) to push it.

can also try to take the router of the power for at least 30 seconds.

Dec 25, 2019
Seems to be this?
Ultra Fibre®BASIC Offer Summary - Retired - Internet - Spark NZ Ltd
should at least be getting more than you see now.

Did you reset the router? There probably will be a small button at the back of it which nees to be pushed (maybe for a certain amount of seconds,but his needs to be found in the manual). Think it is the little "spot" next to the telephone connectors. Probably need something small like a thick needle (something like that) to push it.

can also try to take the router of the power for at least 30 seconds.
I just tried that, there is a tiny hole that you poke a needle into and it resets it. I just did it but it hasnt changed.

Before you started all this, you were accessing the internet on your laptop via WIFI on your laptop to your modem, correct? Is it possible your laptop is still accessing the internet via WIFI to your modem? In other words, is it possible your laptop is not accessing the internet via your USB to ethernet adapter to your modem?

Reactions: ohio_buckeye
Solution

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Is a dutch site for drivers,but you should get by with that,
Service en ondersteuning | Officiële Acer-site
just look at model (categorie=notebook)->series (nitro)-> which one which you need to find out since "5 spin" isn't enough, choose windows version (probably will show W10 immidiately) and download what you need.

"stuurprogramma" is drivers. Look at Lan for ethernet drivers.

Might be that the two reacting above are right so do indeed check that.

Can even check bios versions,see if you have the latest. But if the laptop is working fine is it up to you to decide to try updating that.;)

Last edited:
Ive bought a USB to ethernet adapter and an ethernet cable, and ive plugged the ethernet cable from the wifi modem to the usb to ethernet adapter into my laptop, and it hasnt affected the speed of my internet on my laptop. I took an internet speed test before and after i plugged in the ethernet cable and adapter, but it hasnt changed at all. Some information is that theres an orange flashing light and a green light thats always on on my USB to Ethernet adapter. -Joseph

This shows that you are getting that speed form the modem and ISP connection. If you think it should be higher contact your service provider and have them check it. From your speed tests you either have a slow internet connection or you are running on WiFi with a weak signal. Your speeds are about what you would see on a DSL connection.