Question My VERY HOT Motherboard Broke the SATA Connectors?

Oct 5, 2021
I have a JINGSAH X79M-S3.0 LGA2011 motherboard (bought from Alibaba) and an Intel Xeon E5-2690 CPU. When I finished building the PC, I noticed the Case was getting extremely hot and then I saw that the CPU Cooler Fan was not spinning (cable was not plugged-in correctly).

I am not sure what type of damage this might have caused. The PC was only on long enough to install Windows 10 and most of the updates for the OS.

Now, the PC appears to be running fine except for the fact that I am noticing one of the rear USB 3.0 ports doesn't work and the HDD isn't recognized by Windows in Disk Management.

When trying to connect the HDD, I have tried all four of the SATA ports on the motherboard and used two different SATA cables - but Windows doesn't see the HDD (this HDD was tested on another PC and it shows correctly in Disk Management).

The OS is installed on an m.2 NVME SSD and everything else seems to be in working order (including all of the other rear USB ports) .

What's the most likely cause of these problems (one inoperable rear USB 3.0 port and inability to connect HDD)?

Could these problems have been caused by the heating of the motherboard when Windows 10 was being installed?

Could these problems have been caused by the heating of the motherboard when Windows 10 was being installed?
Not sure.

I assume the port issue could have been there all the time, regardless of heat issues. I would not assume heat is the cause. How could that ever be determined without considerable expense (autopsy) using tools you don't have? Guessing?

I'd be more concerned with options as of this moment, regardless of cause.

Replace motherboard? By warranty claim? Without warranty claim?

ASK THE COMMUNITY