[SOLVED] My very old lowspec comp has a usb 2.0 port, can i use a 3.0 extender w/charger to power my rgb mech keyboard on a usb 2.0 port??

Aug 17, 2019
I recently bought a rgb keyboard and it has usb 2.0 connection type but i believe it is not powering my new keyboard due to my old pc not powering it up!?. What can i do for it to work on this potato pc?
I don't know if my new keyboard is working or not unless i get the usb thing fixed and if it does not work in due time i can't rma it so it is very urgent to me rn. Return policy is only for a few days.

The manual also says to use the kb on a 3.0 port if it does not work on a 2.0 port but the website shows that it's connection type is a 2.0 one so it should work on a usb 2.0 port but i think it is not directly connected to the motherboard or it is not supplying enough power to start my new kb. I have to use this pc bcoz my main is in service the whole week.

(These are all guesses)So, what can i do to make my keyboard power up and can i use an extender, all i see online is 3.0 ones so can it work. I'm new to USB tech so please help me
Thank you for listening.

Last edited:
Solution
If you check the Coolmaster forums you will find your not alone on getting that keyboard to work on USB 2.0. You can check the device manager and see if it picks up any issues but most likely you will never get it to work completely right if it works at all. If you have a spare PCI-e slot you can always add a USB 3.0 expansion card and get around that, you can find those for under $20.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
What is the Keyboard model #
What is the Potato model #

Not all USB 3.0 devices are backward compatible and things get lost in translation in those manuals Originally in Japanese then Translated to Chinese then to English by some outfit in India. 😕

Aug 17, 2019
CoolerMaster MasterKeys L Pro RGB- KB
Pentium Dual-Core E5500@ 2.80GHz 2GB RAM Toshiba DT01ACA100 ATA 930GB!?
Lord Electronics G4x 775 ICH7 8712-MOBO
PSU-sorry i will post it later but not so busy enough to post this :p

Last edited:

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
If you check the Coolmaster forums you will find your not alone on getting that keyboard to work on USB 2.0. You can check the device manager and see if it picks up any issues but most likely you will never get it to work completely right if it works at all. If you have a spare PCI-e slot you can always add a USB 3.0 expansion card and get around that, you can find those for under $20.

Solution