Question My video card went wrong or what is this in games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pety100

Reputable
Jul 24, 2019
Hi guys. I have strange problems in all games. Just look at this video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwNRhSF6n6o

I have the feeling, that If my video card is going above 85-90% usage, fps is dropping. But sometimes fps drops when its only 80%, so I dont know, where is the problem. If I set the graphics to low, fps drops are gone but I think my computer is strong enough to run this game at least on high graphics. I tried to reinstall windows, I tried the game on HDD and SSD too, but the same fps drops.

Another video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9KkD-sGNnc

The game is rFactor 2, after crashing the game drops fps and there is a huge lag. In the video it didn't seem like a big lag, but it was.

I have the feeling, that If my video card is going above 85-90% usage, fps is dropping.
If this is the case, you need to run MSI Afterburner while gaming with temp sensors set to show onscreen in real time. This will tell you if your GPU is reaching the factory built-in thermal limit and throttling down. You should also set the GPU frequency to show onscreen, which will show if it's throttling down.

What case are you using? If it is cramped with limited fans, plus if your GPU is reference style (vs aftermarket with two or more fans), it can be a scenario for high temps.

pety100

Reputable
Jul 24, 2019
full system spec? include make and model of the psu

cpu/gpu temp during the game?
ram/ssd/hdd usage during the game?

malware scan your system?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 YD1600BBAEBOX
GPU: Gigabyte GTX1050 Ti OC 4GB GDDR5 GV-N105TWF2OC-4GD
RAM: Kingston 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz HyperX Predator XMP HX430C15PB3K2/16
MOTHERBOARD: Asrock AB350 Pro4
PSU: FSP 550W 80+ Raider II Silver
SSD: Samsung 250GB 860 EVO MZ-76E250B/EU SSD
HDD: Western Digital 1TB 64MB WD10EZEX
PC CASE: Zalman Z3 Plus

All temparature is perfect, GPU is max 60ºC during game. So it's not an overheating problem.
Ram usage is good, 16GB is more than enough for every game. Or I don't know what you think with ram usage (?)
The game is on SSD, but when I put on HDD, the same fps drops happened. On HDD first rFactor 2 seemed a bit less laggy, but after a few try there was some lags at the start like in the video, so I don't think that the problem is with SSD.

How can I check the SSD usage? I want to make sure the problem is not with the SSD or HDD.

And no malware on my system, because in this week I reinstalled windows 10 about 3 times. Because I tested the games with a lot of drivers, older drivers, or without drivers, but no change. So in a fresh install of windows 10 there is no malware.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 YD1600BBAEBOX
GPU: Gigabyte GTX1050 Ti OC 4GB GDDR5 GV-N105TWF2OC-4GD
RAM: Kingston 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz HyperX Predator XMP HX430C15PB3K2/16
MOTHERBOARD: Asrock AB350 Pro4
PSU: FSP 550W 80+ Raider II Silver
SSD: Samsung 250GB 860 EVO MZ-76E250B/EU SSD
HDD: Western Digital 1TB 64MB WD10EZEX
PC CASE: Zalman Z3 Plus

All temparature is perfect, GPU is max 60ºC during game. So it's not an overheating problem.
Ram usage is good, 16GB is more than enough for every game. Or I don't know what you think with ram usage (?)
The game is on SSD, but when I put on HDD, the same fps drops happened. On HDD first rFactor 2 seemed a bit less laggy, but after a few try there was some lags at the start like in the video, so I don't think that the problem is with SSD.

How can I check the SSD usage? I want to make sure the problem is not with the SSD or HDD.

And no malware on my system, because in this week I reinstalled windows 10 about 3 times. Because I tested the games with a lot of drivers, older drivers, or without drivers, but no change. So in a fresh install of windows 10 there is no malware.

Did you install Windows 10 on your SSD or on the HDD? It has to be on the same drive your games are on to make any difference.

There's no such thing as SSD "usage". You can check it's capacity, which shouldn't exceed 85% of actual vs advertised space, and it's temps. You can also run performance benches on it's speed, and check it's health with diagnostic tools, but that's about it.

You appear to have your frame rate capped at 60fps in the layers of fear video. Do you have vsync enabled, or are you using some other limiter? Vsync is only good if your system can reliably maintain higher FPS than your monitor's refresh rate (which may be 60 Hz depending on your screen), and if your frame rate dips below that, it will need to wait until the next refresh cycle to update the screen, introducing some stutter. Maybe try disabling vsync if it's active, either in the game or forced on in the Nvidia control panel, though having vsync disabled may introduce some screen tearing. Or maybe lower settings slightly to see if performance stabilizes a bit. It does look like your graphics card appears to be getting pushed near its limits in the 90%+ range at times

What model of monitor do you have? Do you know if it happens to support either FreeSync or G-Sync? Those adaptive sync technologies can eliminate screen tearing while maintaining smooth performance as frame rates fluctuate, but they have only become relatively common on monitors in recent years.

pety100

Reputable
Jul 24, 2019
You appear to have your frame rate capped at 60fps in the layers of fear video. Do you have vsync enabled, or are you using some other limiter? Vsync is only good if your system can reliably maintain higher FPS than your monitor's refresh rate (which may be 60 Hz depending on your screen), and if your frame rate dips below that, it will need to wait until the next refresh cycle to update the screen, introducing some stutter. Maybe try disabling vsync if it's active, either in the game or forced on in the Nvidia control panel, though having vsync disabled may introduce some screen tearing. Or maybe lower settings slightly to see if performance stabilizes a bit. It does look like your graphics card appears to be getting pushed near its limits in the 90%+ range at times

What model of monitor do you have? Do you know if it happens to support either FreeSync or G-Sync? Those adaptive sync technologies can eliminate screen tearing while maintaining smooth performance as frame rates fluctuate, but they have only become relatively common on monitors in recent years.

Yes, I use vsync all the time because of strong screen tearing in games. If I set every graphics settings to low, game doesn't have fps drops. I have an LG monitor, 75hz (LG 24MP59G-P). It supports freesync, but I have an nvidia card. I don't know yet if it supports freesync, I haven't checked it yet but I will.

It supports freesync, but I have an nvidia card. I don't know yet if it supports freesync, I haven't checked it yet but I will.
Nvidia actually added driver support for FreeSync to their recent cards early last year. They don't actually refer to it under the "FreeSync" brand though, but rather as "G-Sync Compatible". So adaptive sync should work on most FreeSync monitors with a 1050 Ti. According to monitor review site RTINGS, they tested that monitor with an Nvidia card and FreeSync worked, with a supported refresh range of 40-75 FPS. Drop below 40FPS and you'll still get tearing, but that should cover a reasonably wide range of frame rates.

You have to enable FreeSync in the monitor's settings, as well as in Nvidia's control panel for it to work though. I believe you also still need to connect the monitor to your card using a DisplayPort cable, rather than HDMI. You can find more details about enabling FreeSync on a G-Sync screen on this page...

https://www.esportstales.com/tech-tips/how-to-enable-gsync-compatible-on-freesync-monitor

Reactions: pety100

pety100

Reputable
Jul 24, 2019
I tested more and now I am 99 percent sure, that my video card has a weird problem. With vsync on when card usage is getting high (above 92-93%), I have lags, in all games. For example I have average 100 fps in rfactor 2 without any vsync or fps limiting, but the fps is always above 70. But when I set vsync to on (on 60hz, so this is a 60fps limit), I get lags when the video card usage reaches 90+ % (about 92-93%). I have never heard before about this problem. I think this is a hardware problem. Maybe I will buy a new card, because this sucks... :(

I tested more and now I am 99 percent sure, that my video card has a weird problem. With vsync on when card usage is getting high (above 92-93%), I have lags, in all games. For example I have average 100 fps in rfactor 2 without any vsync or fps limiting, but the fps is always above 70. But when I set vsync to on (on 60hz, so this is a 60fps limit), I get lags when the video card usage reaches 90+ % (about 92-93%). I have never heard before about this problem. I think this is a hardware problem. Maybe I will buy a new card, because this sucks... :(
Make sure you test it not just with in-game vsync, but also with in-game vsync off, but On in Nvidia Control Panel. Some games have a vsync implementation that is very unoptimized.

Status
Not open for further replies.