Question My voice sounds like an alien in my mic

Jan 21, 2023
When I speak the output of my voice is somewhat alien-ish. I tried using different microphones and the same thing happens. It is probably something about my PC but I had only gotten this PC this month. Can someone help me?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
You do realize, that no matter which recording device you're using, your voice will sound different (far higher pitched, almost alien like) than you, yourself, can hear it. Right?

We normally hear our own voice while talking, we receive both sound transferred to our ears externally by air conduction and sound transferred internally through our bones. This bone conduction of sound delivers rich low frequencies that are not included in air-conducted vocal sound. So when you hear your recorded voice without these frequencies, it sounds higher – and different. Basically, the reasoning is that because our recorded voice does not sound how we expect it to, we don’t like it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvosNz0Xq7g

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Does your PC happen to have front mic port as well? Many PC cases have front 3.5mm jack mic port too. Or if you've been using it thus far, try the mic port at the back of your PC, at MoBo I/O panel.

Also, have you tested your mics on 2nd PC? Since both could be at fault (reason why i don't use 3.5mm jack mics anymore, all of them died on me).

Jan 21, 2023
Does your PC happen to have front mic port as well? Many PC cases have front 3.5mm jack mic port too. Or if you've been using it thus far, try the mic port at the back of your PC, at MoBo I/O panel.

Also, have you tested your mics on 2nd PC? Since both could be at fault (reason why i don't use 3.5mm jack mics anymore, all of them died on me).
they work on a second pc, its just the first pc has the problem. Also, the back mic port is too far from the headphones port

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Also, the back mic port is too far from the headphones port

Too far? :unsure:

Sound ports on MoBo back I/O are next to each other. Image:

Surround-Sound-Ports.jpg

Still, you need to try and see if the back port fixes your issue. If it does, the front mic port is most likely bad and all you need to do, is replace the front I/O panel.

Reactions: Al3tevez10