Question My "W" Key gets stuck when I hold ctrl?

Aug 22, 2024
I have a weird issue on my Razer Ornata Chroma keyboard. Happens while I'm playing games where I need to hold down ctrl and w (like crouching and walking). If I am holding down W and then start to hold ctrl it will work fine. However the second I stop pressing down on W it will not work again. A, S, and D all work just fine but W just doesn't register. I don't have sticky keys, filter keys, or anything like that enabled. Tried another keyboard and the issue still persisted. I also tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them but it still didn't work. Any ideas for a solution?

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Any ideas for a solution?
What your KB has, is key rollover issue. This can not be fixed with any software since it's hard-coded to the design of KB itself.
Further reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_rollover

It is common for cheap, membrane KBs (like yours), to have key rollover issue. Only fix: new KB. Preferably mechanical KB with N-key rollover. Meaning, that you can press down ALL keys at once and they all still register as individual key presses.

E.g my Corsair Strafe RGB with Cherry MX Silent switches has N-key rollover. My missus'es KB: Corsair Strafe RGB Mk.II with Cherry MX Silent switches also has N-key rollover. And so does my new Corsair K100 RGB with Corsair OPX switches.

Aug 22, 2024
What your KB has, is key rollover issue. This can not be fixed with any software since it's hard-coded to the design of KB itself.
Further reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_rollover

It is common for cheap, membrane KBs (like yours), to have key rollover issue. Only fix: new KB. Preferably mechanical KB with N-key rollover. Meaning, that you can press down ALL keys at once and they all still register as individual key presses.

E.g my Corsair Strafe RGB with Cherry MX Silent switches has N-key rollover. My missus'es KB: Corsair Strafe RGB Mk.II with Cherry MX Silent switches also has N-key rollover. And so does my new Corsair K100 RGB with Corsair OPX switches.
I tried another keyboard. albeit a cheap one it still had the issue when another one where only the W key is having that issue.

Aug 22, 2024
Unless you try with KB that has confirmed n-key rollover, you can not rule out rollover issue.

Cheap = rollover issue
Somewhere in middle = 16-key rollover (could be 32-key rollover or only 8-key rollover)
Expensive = n-key rollover
I ended up solving the issue! Turns out some virtual desktop program was overriding the command for it so when I nuked it everything got resolved.